Author Topic: The Perfect Music for Spencerian  (Read 12785 times)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: The Perfect Music for Spencerian
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
There's also the little matter of her choice of piano ...  ;)
Indeed!  although arguably we can say that ragtime was probably conceived on a old beaten down cr*ppy upright in an equally beaten down saloon on the bad side of town, not on a bourgeois concert piano.

For what it's worth, I really dig my old Jelly Roll Morton 1920's recordings' beaten down piano sound :)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
Oh definitely: Joplin and Morton both started out playing in houses of ill repute, or so the story goes.  That being the standard story for just about any ragtime or blues musician of the period you care to mention, admittedly.  ;)

Offline ErinBear

• Freshman Member
  • Lettering n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »
OMG, y'all... I laughed so hard as I read through this thread. Quite the Mötley Crüe ;D! Although I don't practice Spencerian - I'm on Copperplate right now - I really wanted to put in my 2 cents. My music of choice for anything, anytime, anywhere; is 80s hair metal. Always and forever.

Chopin, Bach, Vivaldi, and Pantera all OK, too. ;)
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself."
-Oscar Wilde

Offline arherbgm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2016, 01:09:26 AM »
I always have Pandora on while lettering and practicing (on Copperplate now).  My station pick tonight is Sarah Vaughan which has morphed into really warm and gooey stuff which relaxes me.

Reason I decided to reply here is:  I am sick and tired of finding phrases, quotes, sentences, etc. to use, and tonight I am inspired!  I began lettering the title of whatever was playing at the time.  So...my practice sheets now show much more interesting things other than "The quick brown fox..."  and a spice list! Stormy Weather; The Very Thought of You; The Lady Is A Tramp; Till There Was You; all in Copperplate is, well, interesting.  Think tomorrow I'll go with Billy Joel or Pentatonix.  I foresee practicing becoming even more interesting.

Waddayathink?  Should we start a thread matching inks, nibs, scripts, etc. with our music tastes?  Nat King Cole's voice is smooth and creamy like my Sumi ink.  Uh oh...way past midnight and Bing Crosby just started Too ra loo ra loo rah.........night night.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
There are quite a few people who do not listen to music when they practice. But your point about the song titles or words from songs making your practice more enjoyable is a very worthwhile point. The pangram sentences are useful for including every letter of the alphabet, but, I agree that they are not inspirational thoughts. I always encourage students to choose words that inspire them. Some people like to write names of family and friends. Others like poems or quotes or affirmations.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
I always have Pandora on while lettering and practicing (on Copperplate now).  My station pick tonight is Sarah Vaughan which has morphed into really warm and gooey stuff which relaxes me.

Reason I decided to reply here is:  I am sick and tired of finding phrases, quotes, sentences, etc. to use, and tonight I am inspired!  I began lettering the title of whatever was playing at the time.  So...my practice sheets now show much more interesting things other than "The quick brown fox..."  and a spice list! Stormy Weather; The Very Thought of You; The Lady Is A Tramp; Till There Was You; all in Copperplate is, well, interesting.  Think tomorrow I'll go with Billy Joel or Pentatonix.  I foresee practicing becoming even more interesting.
I listen to jazz all the time and often pick out quotes from that.  I love Cole Porter lyrics.  I find that I use a more relaxed/modern writing style for these jazzy quotes, not formal copperplate (or spencerian).

Waddayathink?  Should we start a thread matching inks, nibs, scripts, etc. with our music tastes?  Nat King Cole's voice is smooth and creamy like my Sumi ink.  Uh oh...way past midnight and Bing Crosby just started Too ra loo ra loo rah.........night night.
Interesting idea.  In the section with "word of the day" posts, you could start a "musical/jazzy quote of the day" series  8)   Why not?!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 10:23:29 AM »
Some people like to write names of family and friends. Others like poems or quotes or affirmations.
It is useful to practice envelope addressing, so names and addresses make sense.  So... Google Maps as a source of inspiration?   ;D   ( Pick a random country, random city, zoom in, click on a random restaurant, copy the name and address... )   <feeling playful/>

Offline Mike A

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »
Jazz for me...
George Cables, Icons and Influences is a current favourite:

http://georgecables.com/

...but then I'm a broad edge sort of guy... ; )

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2016, 02:51:28 PM »
Jazz for me...
George Cables, Icons and Influences is a current favourite:

http://georgecables.com/

...but then I'm a broad edge sort of guy... ; )
I can't say I've heard Cables before.  The Amazon web site allows me to listen to samples of the Icons CD and they do sound quite good!   There's The Duke on there, and a tribute to Mulgrew Miller (whom I really appreciated).  Good find!