Author Topic: The Perfect Music for Spencerian  (Read 14965 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Music for Spencerian
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
Wow Matthew, Social Distortion!  That takes me back to c.1981, and now I find that they're still going.   :o

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
The Gael - Last of the Mohicans

That's interesting.  I can hear a swinging quality similar to what I hear in blues.  I've heard that type of music before, of course, but never really thought about that aspect of it.

3 hours  :)

Video removed from YouTube. Here's the 4 minute sound track...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:41:11 PM by June P »
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 08:37:01 PM »
Wow Matthew, Social Distortion!  That takes me back to c.1981, and now I find that they're still going.   :o

I just saw this, Andy.  I have positive memories associated with a few Social Distortion songs (from about ten years ago, not 1981!), so I just repeat those.

Overall, I'm finding that, for Spencerian or ornamental penmanship, I prefer music that has a steady rhythm.  Breaks or other rhythmic intricacies disrupt the flowing motions I want to use.  N.W.A and Superchunk have proven less than ideal.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
The Gael - Last of the Mohicans

That's interesting.  I can hear a swinging quality similar to what I hear in blues.  I've heard that type of music before, of course, but never really thought about that aspect of it.

*Snip*

3 hours  :)

That's almost enough time to finish my warm-up drills.

Offline MrMGWard

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
When I am writing, whether is be a letter, or practice drills, I always (98% of the time anyways) have Pandora radio on the "Helen Jane Long" station. It's magic for me!

MrMGWard

Offline NicholasC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
Something calming and chill, like Pantera or Sepultura always works for me.   ;D

As much as I like the old world feel of Spencerian when written with a nice steel pen and holder, I'm quite happy to keep my mindset in the present.  I usually have something weird like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or The Cocteau Twins playing in the background when I write.
Rise up in the cafeteria and stab them with your plastic forks!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »
Something calming and chill, like Pantera or Sepultura always works for me.   ;D
mouahahaha   "Calming and chill"   :D
As much as I like the old world feel of Spencerian when written with a nice steel pen and holder, I'm quite happy to keep my mindset in the present.  I usually have something weird like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or The Cocteau Twins playing in the background when I write.
Quite interesting choice of music...  Even though GYBE originate from my hometown Montreal, I haven't convinced myself to become a fan  :P   and yet IMHO a better choice for calligraphy than other "calming" options above........  :D 

Offline NicholasC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and ambient music in general, is definitely an acquired taste.  It helps to realize that the music doesn't follow the usual lyric driven model, and has more in common with silent art films or some of the more stylistic classical music.  I find ambient music to really work well with my writing flow. 

I don't actually listen to either Pantera or Sepultura when writing Spencerian, but it does make me giggle maniacally to picture someone writing with a dip pen while Roots or The Great Southern Trendkill plays in the background...
Rise up in the cafeteria and stab them with your plastic forks!

Offline ron_pro

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
I enjoy listening to the Amazon Prime Classical music channel while practicing my writing.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »
I'm going through one of my Scott Joplin phases at the moment ... seems about right.

Has to be Joshua Rifkin at the piano, mind - and absolutely definitely not Winifred Atwell.   :o

Why not?......Just curious!  :)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
Haha!  Winifred Atwell - who never fails to make me smile - didn't really approach Scott Joplin in a spirit of calm and repose, did she?  I always feel like I want to hold on to something.  :)

Here's the Rifkin version, for comparison:

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 01:47:21 AM »
Just joking!    ;D

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
I rather thought you might be.  :)

Nice to hear that again though.  Winifred Atwell and Mrs Mills: the British equivalents to Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis.  ;)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
Haha!  Winifred Atwell - who never fails to make me smile - didn't really approach Scott Joplin in a spirit of calm and repose, did she?  I always feel like I want to hold on to something.  :)
I'd never heard of Winifred until today.  Even though the Atwell video link above didn't work, there are plenty of other examples of her  -ahem-  stylish playing.  Very impressive stride/boogie, but certainly not in a spirit of calm and repose, I agree!!  :D

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
There's also the little matter of her choice of piano ...  ;)