Author Topic: Michael Sull's "Spencerian & Ornamental Penmanship v.II"- $500 or $29.95?  (Read 6219 times)

sgast32

Hi friends,

Does Michael Sull's "Spencerian Script & Ornamental Penmanship v. II" normally go for $29.95 or $250-500+?
I saw it listed on Amazon for $250 to (I kid you not) $3,640 + shipping. However, it is listed as $29.95 on JNB though it is currently out of stock. I know it's on IAMPETH's website as an e-book but I would like to purchase a copy of the actual physical book.

As an Econ major, I fully understand the idea of scarcity value but I just wanted to ask you all what a fair price is for this book.

Thank you!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Spencerian Script & Ornamental Penmanship v. II is currently out of print, and that's why you see it at an exorbitant price online. I'm sure Michael of JNB (who is a forum member) will have more info when he sees this post, but if enough people request it, maybe there'll be a reprint?

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
Hi everyone.  I hate to tell you, but the book is indeed out of print.  There are currently no plans to reprint this book, but we are taking orders in case we do decide to reprint it. 
Printing technology has changed dramatically since the book was last printed...so reprinting will be a daunting task.

Wish I had better info,
Cheers,
Michael

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Sonny: Unfortunately yes.. the book is now considered a rarity... which is a shame because it is such an amazing and important book. However, if you go on ebay and Amazon 'used books' section, you may be lucky to find one at a decent price. I found my copy that way. $250 is rather high for this book... it's not THAT rare..

Michael: It would be amazing to have a reprint.. or a book filled with true-to-life reproductions of the pieces from the Iampeth archive room. Some of the pieces there cannot be found anywhere else in books..!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

sgast32

Ahhh thank you all! I had no idea it was out of print.

Wow, I truly appreciate all the excellent feedback.  :)

Also, Schin - do you still need Brause Rose nibs? Funny you should comment because I was just watching one of your vids on YouTube!  ;D

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
That's one I would DEFinitely want to find.  And I shall not go to eBay now to look because no doubt there are a couple hundred FF'ers looking already. 
Debbie

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
As Schin states, $250 is high for Volume 2 of Sull's book. If you are patient, it will pop up with some regularity on eBay or Amazon for $50 or a little more.
What is truly rare is Volume one (or the two volumes bound together). I looked for over a year to find volume 1 by itself, and the hardbound version with both volumes together usually is $500++.

The good news:

A set of Volume 1 and 2 is being offered right now on eBay for $190 by a man retiring from the calligraphy business. I've bought some things from him recently and he has some interesting nibs for sale as well. If I didn't already have both the volumes, I would not hesitate to buy this set for $190.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ornamental-Penmanship-by-Michael-Sull-/261975612856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfef69db8

or you can search "Michael Sull" and it will come up.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:36:24 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Sonny: Haha you're so kind to remember! But I have a few now.. thank you!!!!!!

Milon and Anasaziwrites: Actually... that link for $190 for both is a good deal. Not an AMAZING deal, but a good deal.. considering I personally absolutely love the book and love ornamental penmanship, I would do it.

I found the hardbound version with vol 1 and 2 on Amazon for $100  ;D That was 2 years ago though.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline June P

• View Profile
You possibly can get a copy into your hands (but only temporarily) through your local library via interlibrary loan. There are 22 holdings on WorldCat...

https://www.worldcat.org/title/spencerian-script-and-ornamental-penmanship/oclc/23208012&referer=brief_results

See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Check it out ...

Volumes 1 and 2

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Ha! Good one, Andy :D! (Seems I was lucky to buy one of the copies at Johnneals last year!)
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Check it out ...

Volumes 1 and 2
Hah! Showing once again, there is a difference between a listing and a sale.

However, if anyone out there wants my copies of Volume 1 and 2 for US$2000, upon receipt of the cash (no phoney-baloney checks from the Bank of Sark), I'll send them along faster than Sumi ink dries in the desert sun.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Hah! Showing once again, there is a difference between a listing and a sale.
Indeed - that listing has been hanging around for quite a while.

Offline andy277

• View Profile
Indeed - that listing has been hanging around for quite a while.

Must be the ink stain on the cover of volume 2 putting people off. I’m sure if it didn’t have that it would fly out the door at that price.

Offline Katrina Alana

• Freshman Member
  • Lifelong Learner / Professional Student
    • View Profile
    • Katrina Alana
Re: Michael Sull's "Spencerian & Ornamental Penmanship v.II"- $500 or $29.95?
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 04:12:04 AM »
Hopefully Michael decides to do a reprint. I'd love to own a copy of this book. Maybe we can petition him  :)