Author Topic: KAIMEI CARBON BASED BLACK (JAPANESE) INK  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: KAIMEI CARBON BASED BLACK (JAPANESE) INK
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 10:52:56 PM »
All right ... result!  I'm not sure how easy it may be to navigate this site, but this looks like the creature:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kenkoex/item/office02573/

About 1/3rd the price of ebay, at least for AUD buyers.  I'm going to ask her to order me some and I'll try it out.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 05:27:51 AM »
Oh my god! Moya! I am seeing very low shipping costs! Lower than our national mail service! That's very hard to resist, all of you are a bad influence  ;D
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
All right ... result!  I'm not sure how easy it may be to navigate this site, but this looks like the creature:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kenkoex/item/office02573/

About 1/3rd the price of ebay, at least for AUD buyers.  I'm going to ask her to order me some and I'll try it out.

Wish I had seen this earlier Moya! I bought some on eBay for about 26 USD (including shipping). I don't normally spend so much money on ink, but anyone following my Instagram knows I've been on the hunt for a great black ink. Someone commented on my Instagram post that kaimei was wonderful stuff and you could get it at John Neal. I couldn't find it on John Neal's site so I emailed them and they replied that it has been discontinued. The stuff i ordered is coming from Japan, so it will be a while before I receive it, but I'll be sure to update this thread with my eperience when I get it!

Thank you Harvey!

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
The ink that we no longer stock is not the same as this ink.  Elsa, please let me know what you think of the ink (and anyone else who tries it, please let me know).  If the ink is liked all around, I can order it from Kaimei.  (We have to buy a whole case, so I am hesitant to buy so many before more people endorsed the ink). 
Cheers, michael from John Neal Books

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
I have ordered some (well, I asked the Japanese-speaking housemate to order me some) - I'll post a review when it arrives :)

PS - Michael, I LOVE that we have a store as responsive & interested in the community as John Neal.  You guys are invaluable. Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:15:38 PM by Moya »

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
The ink that we no longer stock is not the same as this ink.  Elsa, please let me know what you think of the ink (and anyone else who tries it, please let me know).  If the ink is liked all around, I can order it from Kaimei.  (We have to buy a whole case, so I am hesitant to buy so many before more people endorsed the ink). 

I'll be happy to report back to you on my experience! Thank you for your responsiveness. Ditto what Moya said!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
This is the kaimei ink I've used for 20 years. (Yes, same bottle) it sat in my calligraphy supplies for over 15 years untouched. Still great stuff. I'd buy another bottle if I could find it.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »

I'll be happy to report back to you on my experience! Thank you for your responsiveness. Ditto what Moya said!

Elsa - how do you like the ink?

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »
Sorry it took some time to report back, I've been a bit swamped lately. Anyhow, here are my thoughts:

First off I find this ink very comparable to Moon Palace Sumi ink. It has a similar flow, similar hairlines, similar dense black color. Here's where it's different from Moon Palace:

Pros
No diluting required. It simply flows beautifully straight from the bottle.
Less odor
Glossier. Might be the same gloss  level as undiluted Moon Palace, but undiluted Moon Palace does not work well for me.
A bit of a raised effect. I'm not talking like embossed or anything, but definitely something you can feel.
*maybe* dries in the nib a bit slower

Cons
Stickier ( this is especially noticeable when cleaning the nib)
Longer dry time
Mild tendency to get some ink drag when transitioning from swell to hairline. This doesn't happen often, but it basically never happens with Moon Palace.

****Here's the deal breaker*****
I found a practice sheet I completed a few weeks ago and was running my dry fingers along the dried ink and it smeared!!! I've run my fingers over it when it was only an hour old and not had any smearing. I think it's something to do with the carbon particles rising to the top of the dried ink over time??? This has never happened with Moon Palace. Whatever the reason, it makes to ink unsuitable for envelope work as it would probably transfer ink to the backs of stacked envelopes. I'm really bummed about this since I've now got a15 oz bottle of the stuff which is lovely, but I can't use  it for work, and I prefer to practice with walnut or Higgins. I wonder if there is some way to prevent the smearing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:01:37 PM by elsa.d »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
Thank you Elsa for the detailed review!

I actually ordered some from a local Japanese stationery shop and they should be getting them soon. That's so odd about the dried ink smearing weeks after it's dry :(