Author Topic: prepping envelopes to prevent feathering  (Read 2505 times)

Offline angelinamkelly

• View Profile
prepping envelopes to prevent feathering
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
I am sure there is probably an answer on this forum somewhere for this... but... I am having some issues with my ink bleeding and feathering on some envelopes.  I'm doing a couple things for a friend and she chose the ink and envelopes that she wanted.  Is there something I can use to prep these envelopes (on the cheaper side) so the ink won't feather?  It is a windsor newton drawing ink and I am not sure where she got the envelopes but they seem pretty close to kraft paper.

Thanks in advance!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: prepping envelopes to prevent feathering
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »
I am sure there is probably an answer on this forum somewhere for this... but... I am having some issues with my ink bleeding and feathering on some envelopes.  I'm doing a couple things for a friend and she chose the ink and envelopes that she wanted.  Is there something I can use to prep these envelopes (on the cheaper side) so the ink won't feather?  It is a windsor newton drawing ink and I am not sure where she got the envelopes but they seem pretty close to kraft paper.

Thanks in advance!
You might try gum sandarac, available here

http://www.paperinkarts.com/gumsan.html

and here:

https://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=gum+sandarac
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:52:57 PM by AnasaziWrites »

sgast32

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
Hey there Angelina,

To expound on what AnasaziWrites mentioned re: sandarac powder, here is a link to a discussion topic you might find helpful on gum sandarac, writing powder and pounce.

Hope that helps! I know that brides can be very specific (I did calligraphy for my best friend's wedding this summer -- she's a fashion designer with very precise tastes lol) so I don't want to upset the applecart (or your friendship!) but if you try the sandarac to no avail, you might consider chatting with her about whether you can use a different ink. If it's a specific color she's after, you can always purchase gouache and mix a custom color yourself. If she is flexible on the ink, you can always try and use Dr. Martin's Bleedproof White ink, or gold ink like Dr. Martin's Copperplate Gold ink -- those guys always work well for me on kraft envelopes. [/size][size=78%]  [/size]

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
to anyone who is just getting started in the world of envelopes,
i highly recommend that you warn every client in the first conversation that you do not guarantee any kind of ink until you have a sample of the actual envelope to test. it is also a good idea to charge for the time it takes to test inks if the client wants a lot of input.

Holbein Acryla gouache is my go-to product for difficult papers. it is an acrylic gouache - which comes in a tube and you thin with distilled water to the consistency of cream and it works just like ink, only better. it is available in a lot of colors. it has solved all of my problems with difficult papers and color matching. other people on the forum have tried it and i believe they have all found it to be a good option. i have not heard from anyone who has had any problem with it. the hairlines are not as fine as McCaffrey's, but they are pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:23:18 AM by jeanwilson »

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »
Another option is hairspray.  It won't work miracles but it will help.

Offline angelinamkelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
thank you all so much!!

Offline Cindy_H

• Freshman Member
  • Always in pursuit of happiness...
    • View Profile
    • Love, Cindy ADH
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »

You might try gum sandarac, available here

http://www.paperinkarts.com/gumsan.html

and here:

https://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=gum+sandarac
[/quote]

Is this the same/similar to Arabic gum? I was suggested that for my fountain pens inks to prevent bleeding?
Love, Cindy ADH
Mother, Wife, Lover of Animals, Crafter
Instagram ~ Blog ~ YouTube Channel

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
Hi Angelina,

When you mentioned the ink was Winston and Newton drawing ink, I cringed a little bit because I had a bad experience with it. It feathered very bad on the paper. You can try adding gum arabic, but keep in mind to do it in a seperate container (pour some of the ink to another jar, not pour the gum arabic straight to the ink bottle). And you might need quite a lot of gum arabic to handle the feather. If nothing works, maybe you can discuss it with your friend to change the brand of the ink, but not the color (or as closest as possible with the original color that she approved). Hope you can settle this envelope issue.

Cheers,
Ernie
Ernie Tan
IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline angelinamkelly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
Hi Angelina,

When you mentioned the ink was Winston and Newton drawing ink, I cringed a little bit because I had a bad experience with it. It feathered very bad on the paper. You can try adding gum arabic, but keep in mind to do it in a seperate container (pour some of the ink to another jar, not pour the gum arabic straight to the ink bottle). And you might need quite a lot of gum arabic to handle the feather. If nothing works, maybe you can discuss it with your friend to change the brand of the ink, but not the color (or as closest as possible with the original color that she approved). Hope you can settle this envelope issue.

Cheers,
Ernie

i am definitely not a fan of this ink!!