Author Topic: flourishing around town  (Read 1856 times)

Offline evjo

• View Profile
flourishing around town
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »
I've been noticing flourishing in all kinds of places.
On a clock in the hospital cafeteria, for example.
Also, a very poor rendition on a sign at the community center.

Ev

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
Re: flourishing around town
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:00:28 AM »
On my route from home to University I pass a house that has the word 'flourish'  (lowercase) written on the wall in a fancy script.  It's actually painted on a rough cast surface - unless it's a stencil.  I keep meaning to grab a picture, now there is this thread!  :D  Next time...

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »
The flourish on the clock is lovely. I especially like how light some of the curves are, adds depth. Thanks for sharing.

There's a pawn broker here in DC that has some really handsome old-school handlettering on the storefront. Though not flourishing per se, I'll take a pic if I walk by. :)

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
With acanthus . . .
Ev

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
With acanthus . . .

I just love the fact you've posted a picture of the Great British Bake off!!  ;D ;D
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
One of my favorite things to watch, the Bake Off.  yum yum!  Must bake something today!

I know someone who studied baking in Paris at the Cordon Bleu; when she saw something I had flourished she told me of practicing flourished designs to use on cakes.  She & her roommate put toothpaste in a pastry bag and made designs on the tile floor of the bathroom, scooping it up and putting it back in the pastry bag over and over until they could properly create the curves and ovals.  Flourishing with toothpaste!
Ev

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »
One of my favorite things to watch, the Bake Off.  yum yum!  Must bake something today!

I know someone who studied baking in Paris at the Cordon Bleu; when she saw something I had flourished she told me of practicing flourished designs to use on cakes.  She & her roommate put toothpaste in a pastry bag and made designs on the tile floor of the bathroom, scooping it up and putting it back in the pastry bag over and over until they could properly create the curves and ovals.  Flourishing with toothpaste!

It's my summer must-watch! (I once made the eight-plaited loaf and sent a picture to Paul Hollywood via twitter...he ignored it  >:( )

Ha! toothpaste? That sounds brilliant to flourishing on tiles...hours of fun! - I wonder if they put food colouring in the toothpaste.
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
When I am at the family home in Shanghai I regularly attend the park for early morning exercises. There is a small group of guys (no women that I've ever seen) who practice Chinese calligraphy with giant brushes and water on the concrete floor.  The water takes several minutes before it dries out, leaving the floor clear for another attempt. 

When I say giant brushes these things have handles that would not be out of place on a broom.