Author Topic: Ummm. . . Spencerian Business Writing?  (Read 5121 times)

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
  • A journey of a 1,000 miles...
    • View Profile
Ummm. . . Spencerian Business Writing?
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:51:21 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the write forum/topic for this but I'm going to throw caution to the wind and ask it!  First, I'll give my story (will keep it brief!).

Our kids - as with most kids today - have not really been taught penmanship.  So one day I thought to introduce them to italic - which I'd been introduced to at one point, though I hadn't learned it I had some interest in its broad application as a writing hand.  I started that with them right after breakfast and before school but their practice sort of trickled away.  I won't say their interest fizzled but that's another story.

Anyhow, they are no longer involved but I'm still trying to improve my handwriting and actually have sort of got sucked into this whole world of calligraphy which I find really cool but way (read: way, way) beyond where I am.  I am just trying to improve my writing at this point but am keeping my future options open.  I saw this exemplar from the redoubtable Mr. Fraser and was really awestruck so I've been practicing the Mill's Modern Penmanship book online.

My question then is where should I post questions and such on this website?  What I'm doing is very, very basic as compared to the rest of this forum but it seems to me that if I ever advance beyond business penmanship (which I view as an everyday hand, which is what I'm after at this point) then I suppose it would be Spencerian but it's really not.  What would be the appropriate forum "category"?  Is it here or some other "Not Quite Flourishing" category?
Andy

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Ummm. . . Spencerian Business Writing?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
it would make me very happy to have a new topic for those people who want to work on their penmanship.

possible names for the topic
Penmanship
or
Basic Penmanship
or
Everyday penmanship
or
??? any other ideas

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:47:02 AM »
I think there's room for a business writing category.  For the time being "Spencerian" seems like the most appropriate place for American cursive, though - assuming that's what we're talking about - since the letter forms are closely related.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
… or just a category for "Handwriting"? It would include other less formal approaches to writing :).

@ andyj: For the time being, if you would like feedback on your work, you can always post all styles in the "Kind Critique" forum – usually people do reply with helpful comments :). And if you have questions, also for the moment you could post them in the http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0 section of the forum!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
@Andyj

The Mills book is very good.
If you would like a book to have in hand, take a look at Michael Sull's American Cursive Handwriting (student), B3304 available here:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=sull+cursive

Highly recommended.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
… or just a category for "Handwriting"?

Far better!  I'd like to see some French and German styles, which go largely unmentioned.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »

Far better!  I'd like to see some French and German styles, which go largely unmentioned.

my vote is going  for Handwriting
the TH in IAMPETH is Teachers of Handwriting, so there is consistency

and YES, there are so many styles out there
a catalog of them would be awesome

Offline randy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

my vote is going  for Handwriting
the TH in IAMPETH is Teachers of Handwriting, so there is consistency

and YES, there are so many styles out there
a catalog of them would be awesome

Here here

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »
@Andyj

The Mills book is very good.
If you would like a book to have in hand, take a look at Michael Sull's American Cursive Handwriting (student), B3304 available here:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=sull+cursive

Highly recommended.

Thanks, @AnasaziWrites!  I was wondering about that, I did come across that and haven't bought any reference book or course at this point.  Maybe I'll give it a shot since you can attest to it! 
Andy

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
… or just a category for "Handwriting"? It would include other less formal approaches to writing :).

@ andyj: For the time being, if you would like feedback on your work, you can always post all styles in the "Kind Critique" forum – usually people do reply with helpful comments :). And if you have questions, also for the moment you could post them in the http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0 section of the forum!

@Estefa, thank you!  I have a couple of questions around the Mill's book/practice technique that I will post there.
Andy