Author Topic: Fountain Pen Recommendation  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Fountain Pen Recommendation
« on: December 24, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »
This example is shown here at actual size. IMO these inexpensive pens are exceptionally good value for money and are perfectly good enough, not just for everyday writing but for high-quality work. This set comes with six interchangeable, square-edged nibs. (No affiliation, I just like them).

Ken

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
Re: Fountain Pen Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
Looks very nice.  How do they compare with Rotring Artpens?  I am finding my Artpens are inconsistent in line quality as they tend to gush ink at times without any reason that I can see >:(.

What type of converters do Manuscript's use?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:33:51 PM by Tasmith »
Todd

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
Looks very nice.  How do they compare with Rotring Artpens?  I am finding my Artpens are inconsistent in line quality as they tend to gush ink at times without any reason that I can see >:(.

I like Rotring Artpens but they tend to write a bit too dry for my taste. However, they are very well made and feel almost indestructible.

Manuscript use their own convertors which, I believe, can be bought separately.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:21:41 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 05:29:31 PM »
Those Manuscript pens seem to be widely looked down upon by the fountain pen collecting fraternity: my guess is that it's because they're 200 or so too cheap.  They look like an outstandingly good deal to me.

What's the weight like, Ken?  Can't abide heavy pens!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
Those Manuscript pens seem to be widely looked down upon by the fountain pen collecting fraternity: my guess is that it's because they're 200 or so too cheap.  They look like an outstandingly good deal to me.

What's the weight like, Ken?  Can't abide heavy pens!

I think that they're a great deal!

When Osmiroid packed in, some years ago, Manuscript took over that part of the market. They are so inexpensive, I have a pen for each size of nib, permanently fitted. The nibs last for ages and can be easily sharpened and I rarely have to change them. Suffice to say that I wouldn't hesitate to use them on the most prestigious job.  :)

They are moderately light in weight which suits me perfectly. Like you, I dislike heavy pens.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
Thanks, Ken.

On the side issue of Osmiroid, what I'm at a complete loss to understand is why there are any number of nib sections floating around, but the pens are as rare as hen's teeth.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
Thanks, Ken.

On the side issue of Osmiroid, what I'm at a complete loss to understand is why there are any number of nib sections floating around, but the pens are as rare as hen's teeth.

I use my Osmiroid nibs in my Esterbrook pens, so I'm not really missing the original pens
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:09 AM »
I use my Osmiroid nibs in my Esterbrook pens, so I'm not really missing the original pens

That's interesting, although if there's a rarer bird in the UK than an Osmiroid it'd be an Esterbrook.  I've been wondering idly about getting a section just to see whether I have something which would accept it.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
Esterbrooks abound over here, and yes, the Osmiroid sections fit!  I suggest trying EBay.

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »

Are you using a converter with the Rotring? I bought one and gave up on it because I couldn't get any kind of consistent ink flow. Now I just squirt ink into an empty Rotring cartridge and that seems to work.

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »

Are you using a converter with the Rotring? I bought one and gave up on it because I couldn't get any kind of consistent ink flow. Now I just squirt ink into an empty Rotring cartridge and that seems to work.

Yes, I'm using Rotring converters.  I took a closer look at a pen that started to gush ink and the converter is about 3/4 empty.  Don't have a problem with the converters not giving me consistent ink flow, only gushing ink when near empty (as I just noticed).
Todd

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »
@Ken-

I have some Manuscript pens, and I find the ink flow becomes inadequate after two lines.  Any tips on how to alleviate this?

Offline KrzysiekS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
Ken:
I'm just an amateur who's learning Italic Handwriting. Performance of my current wide pen (Sheaffer Italic Calligraphy Broad [2,0mm]) is getting on my nerves. Would you recommend me getting a dip pen and nib set (which one Manuscript's Leonardt or Williams Mitchel?), or rather getting Manuscript fountain pen You've mentioned?

Is the feed performance of Manuscript adequate with broader (2,8 or 2,2mm) nibs?

Blotbot:
How did you solve your problem? I had similar problems with my Manuscript 1.1mm, fortunately the pen was friction fit so I could disassemble it and use ultrasonic cleaner to get all the residue out from the feed. Now it is a little bit dry, but I would call it precise rather than worrying.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »
Blotbot:

Sorry for the long delay; I missed your post in January.

I use Manuscript pens often, and have little or no problem with the ink flow. Actually, I'm probably the wrong person to ask - I know very little about the mechanics of the pens -  I just use them!

KrzysiekS,

I like Mitchell dip nibs but tend to use my fountain pens more often for convenience. I'm not familiar with the Sheaffer pens - I use Manuscript, Lamy or Rotring ArtPens most of the time. Actually, since starting this appraisal of Manuscript fountain pens, I've realised that I prefer the Lamy pens best of all for consistency and evenness of ink flow. The coloured ones with the interchangeable nibs are excellent (although they look a bit clunky with the huge clips) and the shape is designed to encourage the tripod or triangular handgrip which I would certainly advocate for beginners. Although these pens look large, they are surprising light and easy to handle without fatigue.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:43:18 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline cjfrancese79

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but does anyone have any opinions on the Lamy Joy calligraphy pens ?   I have several of the fountain pens, studio and al-star, but wondering if the Joy are acceptable enough for fine calligraphy work.