Author Topic: Loose sheets or sketchbooks for practice?  (Read 4434 times)

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Loose sheets or sketchbooks for practice?
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:59:28 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm curious– do you use loose sheets or notebooks for practice? I often think that I should keep my practice all together and only use a book, but I find it uncomfortable to write in notebooks since most don't open flat and you can't hold your hand properly because of the bulk they make. So I use all kinds of paper I can find.
What about you?

Best,
Natascha
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Loose sheets or sketchbooks for practice?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:58:20 AM »
Sheets for me, dot-matrix printer paper just lately.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:23 AM »
Only loose sheets... And they all end up in the bin (or on the back of kid's drawings and then...  ;D)
But I was thinking I should probably practice differently so that I'd want to keep my works...
Here we have Atoma notebooks with disc-binding system that allows to easily remove a page from the notebook then put it back in place if you want to keep it. I bought one, but didn't use it yet.... You can find them at cultpens.com if you're interested ;)

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
I've been writing for a year now. I started out with loose sheets. I liked saving the sheets so I could see my progress. Ended up to be messy piles & a lot of "should I throw?" piles. Now I use  notebooks for when I'm in bed and for jotting down favorite quotes, paper pads for practice & writing.  Usually I initial & date my writing.
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
Mostly sheets. I will use a Black 'n Red spiral bound notebook for just playing around. But I prefer the paper to be laying flat, and that my sheet not be elevated above the surface.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
Sheets for me, dot-matrix printer paper just lately.
You still have dot-matrix paper?!   8)
I recently came across an old school assignment from a storage box in the basement, and this sort of school paper was (at least in my case) of very bad quality.  If I ever put an ink on it, there would be awful feathering.  Good though to see you're getting some mileage out of that source.

Regarding the original question, I stick to my watercolor paper sketchbooks because loose sheets always end up scattered all over the place and I dislike that.  I also like the chronological aspect of the sketchbook, I can see my progression (or lack thereof  ???)  Besides, when working with watercolor ink, there aren't too many cheap alternatives.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »
Arc-binding here! I make arc notebooks with different papers so I can have them properly stored but also I can remove the paper for practice and then put it back in.

I also have pads of Rhodia paper but always get out the page for practice, so I really use loose sheets.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 11:49:59 AM »
Loose sheets. So I can easily throw the ones I don't like.
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
You still have dot-matrix paper?!   8)

I inherited a wad about three inches thick!  It's not bad at all feathering wise.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
I used to use books and didn't tear anything out but now, it's only Loose Sheets!  Especially if you're planning on doing any flourishing because loose sheets can be kept closest to your writing surface and there are fewer edges for your hand to trip over.  Always have a cushion of 2 or 3 sheets beneath the one you're writing on, though. 

Debbie

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »
I use a notebook, but it does have problems/issues.
- Not all notebooks will lay FLAT.  I use wirebound notebooks which will lay FLAT.  But they are thick.
- When you get to the bottom of the page, my hand has trouble with the difference in height level between the notebook and the surface that the notebook is on, about 1/4 to 3/8 inch below the notebook page.  I sometimes turn the notebook and flip out a few pages to the right, but then I have the pages on the left getting in my way.
- You are stuck with the limited selection of papers in notebooks.

At some point, I will probably switch to sheets.
Gary

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
Sheets for ink, including the backside, which I don't really like as the ink often bleeds, but I like maximizing my paper more. I use books for the rare occasion I want to actually to plan it out with a pencil sketch. Although come to think of it, the last time I planned (my Christmas tree), that was done on loose paper...
Star

Offline lemonpassion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »
I use loose sheets because I find them easier to write on than notebooks. I put dates on my practice sheets (if I remember) to gauge my progress. And I've been meaning to sort the papers and organize them in a better manner but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe this year...
Hi, I'm Mapet!
Instagram! | Flickr

Offline Mudman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
I actively do both. Clairefontaine notebook on some days and loose sheets on others.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
I use loose sheets in a clipboard.