Author Topic: F is for Flourish!  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
F is for Flourish!
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:18:26 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Re: F is for Flourish!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
I can  never match your pointed pen, but I will try very hard to make you laugh with my broad pen.

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:36:24 AM »
Very nice! Now, I have to ask, since I know how you feel about shading and lack of control over your finished product. Did you go back later to blend in the darker red ink at the foot of the letters, or did it appear naturally as a consequence of ink flow?
Clara

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »
Lovely work, Ken!

BTW I would love to see a picture of the original work compared to what you've posted here.  I remember reading elsewhere about the workflow you use to digitize your work, and I'd like just to see what happens in between.

Reason I ask is that I recently had to scan some of my son's artwork and it didn't come out as smoothly as what I see here (both in terms of the lines and the color).   Thanks in advance if you can post that.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »
ohhh nice Ken. My favorite colors to!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »
Ergative,

You've got it.

I painted in the shading at the foot of the letters with a tiny brush.

ericp,

Without proper equipment and just with a hand-held camera, it's extremely difficult to avoid distorting the image proportions. For that reason, I always prefer to scan my artwork and upload via Photobucket.

However, on http://instagram.com/fraser.ken for convenience, I used my phone camera to photograph my artwork and you'll fine this piece, there. For some reason, beyond my technical know-how, the background turned out blue when it should have been white!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:26:31 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
ericp,

Without proper equipment and just with a hand-held camera, it's extremely difficult to avoid distorting the image proportions. For that reason, I always prefer to scan my artwork and upload via Photobucket.

However, on http://instagram.com/fraser.ken for convenience, I used my phone camera to photograph my artwork and you'll fine this piece, there. For some reason, beyond my technical know-how, the background turned out blue when it should have been white!
Thanks Ken, looks fine.  BTW the blue background has to do with your phone's camera sensor and the lighting you use.  I find most sensors can never get white balance right the first time, and will either cast blue or yellow.  I use Lightroom to remove the color casts but it does add another step in the workflow (and I'm lazy...)  :P