Author Topic: paul antonio's scope  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
Re: paul antonio's scope
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. For me I think I produce better work with an oblique. However I just wanted to use a straight holder just because that is the way he teaches. But I see that everyone is different and what I go for is Zanerian Engrossing script anyway and I know The Zanerian manual says to use an oblique.

If you're studying Engrosser's script, the oblique holder is the most appropriate tool to use. Zaner, Baird, Howe, Norder, Lupfer, Martin, Madarasz etc all used obliques in their work and in the evolution of Engrosser's from classical Round Hand script. It's difficult to produce the quality of shade required for a high standard of Engrosser's with a straight holder, unless either the paper is rotated to almost 90º from the body or the hand is contorted into an unnatural, uncomfortable position.

I haven't yet seen an example of copperplate script from a straight holder that doesn't have a feathered right edge to the shades.

To add to Andy's historical interlude, here's an 1887 advert from the Penman's Art Gazette for an oblique holder:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:04:18 PM by Andrew H »
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
ahh cool Andrew thanks for posting this. All of this makes a strong case inside the cloud of wonder in my head. You would think after 2 years using the oblique I would not even think about it. But that's me I guess.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
I did not see Paul's video/Periscope. I would say a straight holder is easier to use for offhand flourishing, which essentially one could argue is what horizontal swells are. But I can also say I have had many, many students say they can't understand why they are getting a ragged right edge on their letters. 100% of the time they are using a straight holder. When they switch to an oblique - poof - disappears and smooth on both sides.

Whether that makes an oblique or straight better or not, is irrelevant. As it is how the tool performs in the hand of the user that matters. I encourage anyone learning pointed pen to start with an oblique (because once we start with one, it's difficult to switch to the other) and it's really a matter of pen angle. But if someone is comfortable with and happy with how a straight holder works for them, carry on. And by all means, try both. You may be surprised.

It is a different argument altogether for lefties, btw.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Whether that makes an oblique or straight better or not, is irrelevant. As it is how the tool performs in the hand of the user that matters. I encourage anyone learning pointed pen to start with an oblique (because once we start with one, it's difficult to switch to the other) and it's really a matter of pen angle. But if someone is comfortable with and happy with how a straight holder works for them, carry on. And by all means, try both. You may be surprised.

It is a different argument altogether for lefties, btw.  ;)

Completely Agree Erica!! Especially the Lefty Part!! 😉☺️
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:52:36 PM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Saron

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »
I am a huge fan of Pauls and been quite lucky to visit his studio, as we have seen in his videos, he uses a straight holder for Copperplate and an oblique holder for Spencerian- if I am not mistaken he does this, so that he is prepared for the job in hand). With his work load etc plus the cost of Vellum, you cannot afford to make any mistakes.  He is not the only calligrapher who is an advocate of a straight holder for Copperplate- please take a look at the work of Rachael Yallop, whose work is fantastic, plus Hamid Reza Ebrahimi also uses a staight holder for his work- to name but a few.
Having said that, when I started out last year-  and living in the UK oblique holders are not that easy to be found, especially if you do not want to pay the duty or shipping cost.
To sum up, I believe that you should use the tool that you are most comfortable with- the tool that will get the job done- whether that be a straight holder or an oblique (or a quill) :)

Saron

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
Saron, cool you got to visit his studio. I have heard Pauls explanation on why he uses a straight holder. I have personally ask Hamid why he does and he told me. I have never personally heard of the other Lady I will have to look her up. But for me I do American Engrossers Script. The oblique holder is right for me so that's what I will stick too. In fact I just purchased a Russian made oblique holder. But I admire Paul and Hamid's straight holder work. Plus Paul will always be my favorite.  ;D

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 02:30:49 AM »
Brad... Rachael Yallop is Awesome!! She's on FB but (sadly) not on IG. Her work is Stunning! Hope you find her! Enjoy! :)