Author Topic: Advice & Ideas Requested  (Read 10911 times)

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
Re: Advice & Ideas Requested
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:20 AM »
Very interesting subject... I didn't fully read every comment but I thought I'd just share my opinion on this :

When I was a beginner, well in my first year of calligraphy, I seriously thought that the nib was a big part of the quality of the penmanship. And it was true to some extent : I just had to find the right kind of nib for me... the one nib that gave me satisfactory lines (turned out to be the EF Principal). I also didn't see them as disposable tools (which I now do).
Then, getting more experienced (and having tried a good number of different nibs), I just understood that I just needed trusty nibs. My penmanship has evolved and I feel comfortable with any nib even if they give different kind of results, so I choose to buy the kind of nibs that give the result I want (and for a reasonable price).

Vintage nibs are very tempting, but I am less tempted now than I was a year ago... I know they won't magically improve my penmanship abilities. I only buy some of them because they are much cheaper than the modern nibs (I'm in Belgium so I easily have access to the french vintage nibs the 2552 being one of my favorites).
For me the "dream points" are like museum objects : I could try them out but I would never have enough money to buy a box or two - and that would be extremely frustrating... (yes I only buy boxes  ;D)  And I don't see the point in paying so much for such tools.

So to answer Chris's question, I'd say you just do whatever feels right for you. If you just want to share with worthy penmen, then select each one carfefully. But please be open to people outside the US too (because we will never get to see these dream nibs otherwise  ;))
If you want to earn money from this, then feel free to sell them at the crazy market prices. But know that you'll probably sell most of the nibs to wealthy beginners who believe they are magic.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:42 AM »
I only buy some of them because they are much cheaper than the modern nibs (I'm in Belgium so I easily have access to the french vintage nibs the 2552 being one of my favorites).

You took the words out of my mouth :). I am in Germany and in a similar situation. It's not very difficult, time-consuming or distracting to buy certain types of vintage nibs. I don't use them because I think they are super fancy. They are just available and they work. Btw I haven't yet found an option to buy LP Principals in boxes here in Europe.

But don't ask me what I pay for shipping and tax when I order supplies from the USA :).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2016, 05:16:28 AM »
... I haven't yet found an option to buy LP Principals in boxes here in Europe.

It might be worth your while to drop Penman Direct a line, Stefanie.  Just guessing.   ;)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2016, 05:27:42 AM »
Thank you, Andy – I will :)!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33:01 AM »
But know that you'll probably sell most of the nibs to wealthy beginners who believe they are magic.

Well, I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a beginner. I purchased a Iveson Spencerian Pen #1 New York for the exorbitant price of $10 (for one nib). I didn't expect it to make any difference to my writing, but I did want to see what they were like. Simple curiosity, nothing more.  :)  And the funny thing is that it has sat in the box unused since then.  I will probably give it away as it is not much use to me - from the perspective of only having one and that they are increasingly rare.

What would I do if I was in Mr Yoke's position?  If I knew any highly skilled penmen or penwomen on a good friend kind of basis, I would give them the nibs. But that's just me. I'm not very financially oriented.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2016, 08:14:52 AM »
I understand the curiosity, I even bought spencerian 1s too and never touched them... Because I could only buy a few, and I'm afraid to get sucked in !