Author Topic: question about Spencerian Script  (Read 13764 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
question about Spencerian Script
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
What is the difference between  Spencerian Script and Spencerian Ladies Hand? Beside the obvious, why are they separated?

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: question about Spencerian Script
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
It's almost the same.. in fact Spencerian Ladies Hand was developed by PR Spencer and sons in order to market this handwriting to women and to sell more products to them :)
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »
LOL! I just love writing Spencerian Ladies' Hand ... it makes me feel so feminine -- said no woman ever.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
I just want to make sure when I start learning the script I'm doing the manly version ha ha

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
LOLOLOLOL! I literally laughed out loud Brad!   ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
Haha don't worry about it Brad! :) It was men who came up with that script after all!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 03:03:54 AM »
It's probably like Coke Light and Coke Zero. Both will kill your teeth slowly, but one will do it in a manly fashion. :D
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Is it the same with roundhand and Italian style?  There are two styles in the Bickham books.  The Italian is very similar to roundhand, be seems a slight bit less forceful. 

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »
Brad :

Spencerian Ladies Hand is basically the same as Spencerian Script but slightly more compressed. The most noticeable difference is the extended looped ascenders and descenders - sometimes even more than I've shown here. Also, the majuscules are constructed differently and the shading overall is much lighter. Presumably, this was to give a more delicate "feminine" look to the lettering. Anyway, it's just a name and both sexes write it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:47:50 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:10:07 AM »
Thanks Ken for the exemplar.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
Blotbot :

Copperplate (English Roundhand) and Italian Hand are actually quite different and require different techniques in writing. At an enlarged size, this word first in Copperplate and then in Italian Hand demonstrates just how different the two script are.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:22:48 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
So how do you write the Italian hand?  The shading isnt always on the downstoke.  Do you write with a flat edge and twist it?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:18 AM »
Italian Hand was probably written originally with a flat nib, twisted occasionally, as you say. However, I write it with a pointed nib, as it's much easier, and just fill in the little horizontal shades. Actually. it's tedious to write and hardly worth the effort as it's not the most attractive hand IMO.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:23:52 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
I just want to make sure when I start learning the script I'm doing the manly version ha ha

Ladies hand always seems kind of tall and lithe, simple and with a light touch to me, much like modern day 'feminine' standards.

Then it would be best to make sure yours is muscular and assertive, with large and excessive loops to show them light hands that you can do much better!, and you'll write none of damn 'love', 'beautiful', 'delicate', 'poem', 'birds', 'vegetables' words. Pssh. A man writes things like 'Dragon', 'Fire', 'Axe', 'MAN', 'soccer', 'testosterone', 'raw meat'. Your paper will be rough, made from the skin of murdered animals, and have charred edges to indicate the power embedded into such writing has such fire that it singes the corners from raw MANLINESS!

I even imagined a nice fire pit by some high and snowy mountain and the oblique pen fashioned out of elephant tusks by the writing board just to complete the image. I clearly need some reality check.
 ;D

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »

Ladies hand always seems kind of tall and lithe, simple and with a light touch to me, much like modern day 'feminine' standards.

Then it would be best to make sure yours is muscular and assertive, with large and excessive loops to show them light hands that you can do much better!, and you'll write none of damn 'love', 'beautiful', 'delicate', 'poem', 'birds', 'vegetables' words. Pssh. A man writes things like 'Dragon', 'Fire', 'Axe', 'MAN', 'soccer', 'testosterone', 'raw meat'. Your paper will be rough, made from the skin of murdered animals, and have charred edges to indicate the power embedded into such writing has such fire that it singes the corners from raw MANLINESS!

I even imagined a nice fire pit by some high and snowy mountain and the oblique pen fashioned out of elephant tusks by the writing board just to complete the image. I clearly need some reality check.
 ;D

Hahahahahahahaha!!!! LOVE IT!~