Author Topic: Nibs similar to Gillot 303  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Daniel Mastrofski

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Daniel Mastrofski
Nibs similar to Gillot 303
« on: July 31, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Just recently bought an ornamental, wooden oblique holder along with McCafferys black from John Neal. I previously only had experience with the zebra g so i decided to order some niko g and gillot 303s. I have to say i absolutelty love the flexibility and hairline capabilities of the Gillot 303. Going to go ahead and order a bunch of those. Can anyone suggest other nibs that have similar characteristics? Also, in what instances would you use the Nikko G over the Gillot 303 and vise versa?  Thx!
Instagram : @danielmastrofski

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
Re: Nibs similar to Gillot 303
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 12:35:40 AM »
The Gillot 170 is very sharp and flexible as well. As is the Leonardt Principal.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:35:45 AM »
Hi Daniel,

I recently bought lot of nibs and tried them on a sheet of paper. There are few other nibs which could match upto Gillotte 303s expectations. In my opinion - Hunt 99, Hunt 101, Leonardt 33, Brause 66ef are a few that are similar.

Hope this would be of some help to you.

Keep writing,
Ashok
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:38:30 AM by ash0kgiri »

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:10:01 AM »
For fineness I know of nothing; the 170 has a similar feel as does the 2788 crowquill.  The only serious high-performance competitor from another manufacturer I'm aware of is a well broken in LPef.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 08:47:41 AM »
I vote for the Brause 66EF!  It also is very flexible & gives very nice thicks & thins!

Janis

ash0kgiri

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
I agree @JanisTX. :D

Ashok

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
Just recently bought an ornamental, wooden oblique holder along with McCafferys black from John Neal. I previously only had experience with the zebra g so i decided to order some niko g and gillot 303s. I have to say i absolutelty love the flexibility and hairline capabilities of the Gillot 303. Going to go ahead and order a bunch of those. Can anyone suggest other nibs that have similar characteristics? Also, in what instances would you use the Nikko G over the Gillot 303 and vise versa?  Thx!
What script are you attempting?

Revised:  copperplate?

Just a few comments--

If you are happy with the modern G303, why look further, lest you fall down the wormhole of trying nibs for fun?

--a better nib for copperplate is a vintage Gillott 303, although it will be more expensive

----A vintage Gillott 170 is excellent for copperplate with a small x-height. It is even sharper than the vintage 303 and has similar flexibility. The modern version has lost some of its sharpness.

--a vintage nib similar to the vintage 303 is the Brandauer 516, shown here (but it is hard to find):
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4204.0

--the Brause 66ef is an excellent nib, but due to its xxflexibility, requires a good control over pressure to get good results with copperplate. Nibs with a little less flexibility, like the G303, might yield better results if you are just getting started with copperplate.

--the other nibs mentioned, you may find, are not good substitues for the G303, although they are decent nibs in their own right. The best advice might be to simply buy a few of each of them and give them a try and see if they work for you. From my own experience, your time might be best spent practising with a good nib you like versus looking for even better/cheaper nibs--it can be a big time suck. If you enjoy the nib hunt though, then give it a go.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:50:09 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Daniel Mastrofski

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Daniel Mastrofski
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
Thank you All for your responses.
It seems the Gillott 303 is most likely the nib for me (for now).
It is a little scratchy on the upstroke however I noticed when I lightened my touch and slowed it down a little
it did just fine.  I am guessing a nib like this is ideal for smaller scripts.  Perhaps a nib like the Zebra or Nikko is
a little better for larger scripts, especially with large flourishes where motion is the most important factor and not
having the nib catch on the paper?  I am using these nibs for Copperplate.  I am also looking forward to moving into
Spencerian after I have spent a sufficient amount of time working with Copperplate.  I've been doing this for a few months
now.  I'll try to post something as soon as I feel comfortable enough with it!

Thanks!
Instagram : @danielmastrofski

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
You might also consider which paper you're using when making your choice. I found that the Hunt 101 did not give as beautiful fine thins as the Gillott 303, but it was smoother and caught less on rough paper. For very rough paper I would turn to the Nikko G or Zebra G, although recently I've found that it is so much less flexible than the G303 that I don't actually like using it much for copperplate. I do use it, however, for practicing my flourishes, for exactly the reasons you mention.
Clara