Author Topic: Then and Now - The Exchange Version  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Then and Now - The Exchange Version
« on: September 16, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
One of my favourite threads is 'Then and Now' http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1379.0

It is so nice to see everyone's progression. I thought it would be fun to start an "Exchange" version. If you have pics or kept one as a keepsake, it would be great to see your first and last exchange. And for those of you just starting, it would be awesome to see your firsts :)

My first exchange was the Blue exchange August 2014. I was so nervous! I penciled out this design, calli'd it, and imposed it in PhotoShop (a lesson in itself at the time) over a picture I took from a plane. The whole process took hours, and I made only one and had it printed because that was all I had time to do: one as best as I could. Now I have to admit that some of that drive came from my motivation to use this opportunity to learn in preparation for my upcoming wedding invitations...the whole reason I started practicing calligraphy in the first place. After that, my other exchanges have all been individual....except, funnily enough, my last exchange ('North, South, East, West'). I really pushed myself more than normal; to the point of doing one really detailed (and poorly watercoloured version; a painter I am not!) map of Canada. I had to make copies...again. lol But, that's the way it goes sometimes. I am equally pleased with both because they represent my best versions of what I could do at that time given my circumstances (life gets busy!) So for all of you 'newbies' who might be nervous, just do what you can, but don't be afraid to play! Strive for progress, not perfection ;) I hope you have a blast with these exchanges!

Star

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
Re: Then and Now - The Exchange Version
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »
I love that this was your own pic you took on a plane. And I think the watercolor is awesome!!  Your my favorite inspire'er (is that even a word? :o) and "shover" ;)

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
Wow, Star, it's amazing to see your first exchange! I don't think I've ever seen your lettering so structured, as I'm so used to seeing the spontaneity and playfulness of your work, which I admire. It surprises me that this is your first ever exchange. It has the look of someone who has been doing calligraphy for a while. Thanks for sharing! How fun to go back in time and compare progress. :) @Starlee

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
Thanks Janice! @handmadeletters  I actually had been doing it a while...8 months to be exact. It took me that long to gather the courage to participate in an exchange. And you are right about the freedom. It's not that I can't do this structured form...I find myself starting to return to it again these days...I am trying to learn to balance my need for flow with the essential core of calligraphy, consistency. It's what I aim for when I practice. Balancing the two...I suspect it will be a life long quest :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:53:46 AM by Starlee »
Star

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
Thank you @Terasleen! I love taking pics from planes...I have Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, Boreal forests of Northern Canada, all sorts of cool clouds...they are fun mementos :)
Star

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
One of my favourite threads is 'Then and Now' http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1379.0

It is so nice to see everyone's progression. I thought it would be fun to start an "Exchange" version. If you have pics or kept one as a keepsake, it would be great to see your first and last exchange. And for those of you just starting, it would be awesome to see your firsts :)
I, too, enjoy seeing exchange submissions and how they evolve over time.
My first one was the Summer exchange of 2014, announced May 31, 2014, the day after I joined the forum. Talk about jumping right in. I've done 20 FF exchanges since then. The last one I did on FF was the NSEW (maps) exchange, but as I did a broad point script for it (which I had never attempted before), I'll post the Birds, bees, flowers, trees one  (April, 2016) instead, which I wrote in Spencerian, my regular hand. I often use photos I've taken for the exchange cards, as is the case with these. The first three images are from the 2014 exchange, the next three from 2016. Not much improvement imho for two years work, but then, I'm a slow learner. I'm on the 10 year plan.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 06:48:37 PM »
These are so beautiful @AnasaziWrites !!! Their forms are equally stunning. Where I see the improvements are the control of your shades. Your thins are more refined in the newer ones. And in your ligatures...that threading of h off the N in the address is masterful! Love the pics too! :)
Star

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
Thank you Star. I'm posting this in part to encourage everyone, particularly the slow learners like myself, to continue to push ahead, and not to worry too, too much about the speed of your improvement, nor be discouraged if it comes slowly. The major cause of my modest improvement, I believe,  is that I have not put in enough hours, day in and day out, to make faster gains. I'd say my "talent" level is average, like most of the people here, so I get out what I put in, in terms of effort. Simple enough.
If all one sees here is the examples of tremendously fast improvement, some might wonder why they don't show such sudden gains, and be discouraged. It's encouraging to see slow gains as well, I think.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:25:08 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 06:14:48 AM »
I love this kind of threads!! I joined the forum just when st valentine exchange of 2015 was done, and I do not remember if there were more exchanges after that. The first one I have photos is the local exchange from june 2015. I was very excited for it and put a lot of effort.

First, I made some envelopes from actual maps made for tourists. Then I wrote in my very bad uncial the legend of a mythological creature from this area, the "Xana" (a beautiful fairy who lives on water). I wrote it in the local language, not in spanish, so I also added a translation in english with an image of the creature. I made also some cards with printed QR codes for downloading the official app with my city info. That was really because that app was made by my boyfriend and I was so proud, but it related perfectly to the exchange theme! I added a little bag with a seed of our local beans, which are the source of our most famous typical food "fabada". An finally I added a printed letter explaining all that and more.

My last exchange has been the North, South, East and West exchange. For that one I handrawed a map of my mothers birth village, where I spend my summer holidays every year I have summer holidays. It is really that small village, I draw every street, I promise! I added the tiniest calligraphy I could to mark several "important" places (like my house, or the secret tomb out of the cemetery my father made for my duck pet when I was a child, and the house-club my friends gather which is called "Hell"). I also calligraphied a letter and the envelope. All the time I was doing it I was asking myself "If I were a pirate in need to hide a treasure, where would I put it and how would I mark it on this map?"  ;D
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
Wow @Inked botanicals! This is wonderfully creative! Thanks for sharing! :)
Star

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 06:07:38 AM »
Wow @Inked botanicals! This is wonderfully creative! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thank you @Starlee I love to try new things for exchanges! For example, this was my first hand drawn map. Although I did 4-5 copies before the actual copies I sent  ::)
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
This is such a great thread! I missed it earlier. Thank you for sharing!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica