Author Topic: Shellac based ink  (Read 2320 times)

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Shellac based ink
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

at my local art supply store they have tons of these inks called Sennelier in the most beautiful colors. They also have a beautiful satin finish. So I decided to try them and bought a bottle.
However, they are very runny. Has anyone tried those? With gum arabic maybe? Any other experiences?

Best,
Natascha
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Shellac based ink
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 04:52:05 AM »
Hi Natascha,

I also bought a couple of them because the samples in the online store looked so nice. I am not sure if these inks are meant for calligraphy at all (more for painting maybe?). I tried them also with pointed pen and I find them kind of thick and runny, so to speak. I like them for more experimental stuff, where blots are not such an issue. But with more traditional script – didn't work for me. Also did a quick test with an Automatic Pen last night, but also – no hairlines possible for me at all. But look, it's dry and looks wet!

I would be really greatful also if someone had an idea how to make this ink work with pointed pen. I thinned it with water, that was a bit better, but also the colour quality was losing. So not a really good option.

Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:28:30 AM »
You thinned it? I actually felt it was too thin. Huh. Now I'm confused.  ???
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »
Well, it felt so "dickflüssig". Findest du nicht? More like Gouache, and I thin that too if it's too … whatnot. Not like a regular "watery" ink like fountain pen ink or even iron gall ink. And it was just a try, on the sheet here it is not diluted.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »
Actually, no o.o weird. :o
Maybe we've got different ones. Mine is very very watery.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
I now tried to thicken it with gum arabic. Now it's ok to write with but there are these weird grains in it ... arrgl. I'll have to open a thread for the gum arabic now >_>
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
Hi Natascha, about the ink consistency: I meant not like gouache from the tube , but when it is already mixed. So maybe that's confusing! But surely the ink I have is less watery than for example Zeichentusche. Hmm. Maybe a foto to make sure we are talking about the same product?

About the Gummi A., that sounds strange. Maybe it's already off? Mine is definitely not grainy, and I also have the Schmincke. I add it with a pipettes (just some drops!) to fountain pen ink.

I am really not sure if the g.a. and schellack are chemically compatible. Or are the grains already in the g.a. bottle before you mix it?

Regarding mixing, I use toothpicks to stir inks.

Hope that helps!

Offline Martín

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
I got a couple of these last year as a present, and wasn't able to use them until I tried to make a sort of wash with them. Mixing them with a significant amount of water made it so I could actually write. Used pure, I find that they either pool on the nib, or just blob on the page, but they don't flow properly. Diluted, it was ok.
I used several nib sizes, and it worked ok from 5mm to 0.5mm.

Here's a sample:

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
Yes, that's exactly my experience! I just find them diluted not so "rich" anymore. So for me it's more of a freestyle / experimental ink ;).

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
I bought a gold from same maker a few days ago and the gold is beautiful but it's very difficult to work with. I added some gum Arabic and it helped a little. But you have to keep mixing it to get the gold to come out. Very frustrating. Also you have to square off letters as soon as you write them otherwise it's very difficult to go back and fix. I usually go back after each word I write and fix whatever needs fixing but with this ink it's letter by letter.  >:(

Again I'm really sad that it's so difficult to work with because to shade is just beautiful.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher