Author Topic: Wrong oblique with the Nikko G?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Stephen Starling

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Wrong oblique with the Nikko G?
« on: October 29, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
I'm such a newb! Help!?
This is the oblique and Nikko G I got from paperinkarts.com, as part of their Spencerian Kit.

I've only used the straight pen in the picture till now.

Does the Nikko in the oblique look correct to you?  I've installed it so that its tip is in the centerline of the holder.  I find this leaves VERY little room between the edge of the brass flange and the top of the points hole.  I'm in the habit of dipping my point to just above the hole, isn't that the correct way?  Well with this new oblique, it takes so much more care to dip it properly without over dipping and getting ink on the flange, which is a no no, correct?  I end up usually under dipping which is a pain!

What am I missing? Did paperinkarts send me the wrong oblique with the kit? I've seen other points installed in obliques and there seems to a lot more room for a proper dip.

Help this newb?

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: Wrong oblique with the Nikko G?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
You will probably want to start using a brush or dropper to ink up the pen.
Gary

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:01:22 AM »
HI Stephen,
The centreline setting is correct.  This setting is to compensate for the thickness of the holder and the angle at which the flange is fitted.
Your habit of dipping is also fine.  Dipping just enough to cover the eyelet is fine.

Getting ink on the flange is not really a problem as Brass is quite resistant to corrosion.  Just have to wash it out with water if you get ink on it, as you don't want the ink to dry up in the gap where you insert the nib. 

With regard to the wrong oblique.  Is this the Colonial oblique starter kit?  I have not used this holder, but I am presuming that if PIA is selling this with a Nikko, it should to suitable for one.  However,  each person's grip, size of hand, placement of fingers on the holder varies.  Ideally oblique holders with a brass flange should be adjusted to your particular grip and nib.

As Gary said you can start loading the nib with a dropper or a brush if you are worried about the flange getting ink.  But if you find that too cumbersome you could try the following.

Two things you can look at to  see if it helps.
One is the inward cant of the flange.  Chris Yoke had a brilliant video for adjusting angles of the flange

This one is for the angles.  The inward cant adjustment is a 4:40 mins
After you adjust the Cant you may find that you need to slide the nib in or out a little more to match the centre line. 

Second is adjusting the flange itself
This video is for adjusting the flange to take a new nib.

I hope this helps.   
Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »
That is correct angle for the flange placement. The foot on that pen is a bit wider, so the nib will come closer on a G nib due to the nib itself being longer. When you mass produce holders you have to compensate the flange to work with a multitude of nibs including very short ones, such as a EF66. This is why an improperly set flange will not allow the G nibs to align with the center axis, but that pen does, so it's just fine.

You dip the nib to just deep enough to fill the eyelet of the nib, so it will come close but can be dipped. Email me directly, [email protected] if you need more help, always happy to help :)
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:42 AM »
That's one of the cases where a Dinky Dip is extremely helpful 😉! It helps to prevent overdipping.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram