Author Topic: Getting edgy...  (Read 917 times)

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
Getting edgy...
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
Hey folks.  I would like to have a go at some broad edge writing.  Is there a recommended nib set for a beginner? I also want to stay well away from Speedball nibs, unless there is a compelling reason not to.  Advice?

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
Re: Getting edgy...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »
I like the William Mitchell nibs and the Brause nibs. The WM nibs are flexible-ish and I find that the ink flows more easily from them. The Brause nibs give you a crisper thick/thin contrast.
Clara

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 11:08:26 PM »
I agree with Clara's assessment. 

William Mitchell nibs are very nice. They have a slight springiness to them that I quite like. Makes sure you order additional reservoirs if you get a set with only a couple of them. It helps to have 3 or 4 nibs ready to go.

The Brause nibs are sharper and firmer. This can be helpful if you have a heavy hand. They are also cut very slightly right-oblique which helps maintain nib angle for right handed scribes. It does take a little getting used to but one hardly notices it after a couple of sessions.

Higgins Eternal is a good ink to have for broad edged writing practice.

- Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 12:05:38 AM »
Thanks.  I have a bottle of Higgins and I was leaning toward the Mitchell nibs.  I have to order them from PIA in any case so I won't get anything until the beginning of next year.