Author Topic: Hi there!  (Read 3252 times)

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi there!
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »
Hi all!

My name is Wendy and I am a total newbie.  I've always loved pretty lettering and started officially learning calligraphy about 1.5 years ago.  I took Melissa Esplin's I Still Love Calligraphy course and just fell in love.  Life, however, became difficult, with having to move my mom in with us, and I stopped practicing for about a year.  I recently picked my pen back up and attended a couple in-person classes (with Maybelle Imasa and Molly Jacques), and am back in the swing of things.  I'm not sure what I want to do with calligraphy.  I'd love to monetize it (once I'm better), but I don't know that I want to do envelopes (they seem like SUCH a pain in the arse!!!).  Maybe cards/invitations/gift-y stuff.  We'll see.  For now, I'm just enjoying the learning process :)

Thank you so much for providing this wonderful place, Erica!!

Wendy

**I spend most of my time on Instagram.  I'm @tienky**

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »
Hi Wendy! I'm a newbie too and have been practicing just a couple of months. I've only taken one online class (Molly Jacques/Skillshare), have purchased several books and try to practice a minimum of one hour per day. I feel like I need more direction since I have no idea if the practicing I'm doing is even correct! I could be practicing all wrong so I'm anxiously awaiting Erica's tutorials she'll be posting here.

I don't have any plans to do anything commercial with calligraphy, I just want to have fun which is why I really enjoy the new "modern" calligraphy movement. I do plan to do some wedding envelopes for a cousin who is getting married in June. I need lots of practice but I know she'll be grateful for what I can produce for her by that time. She had been cringing over her penmanship skills!

I'll look for you on IG!

Ellen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
Welcome Wendy! I fell asleep last night with my head touching the top of my laptop with your message open! Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond earlier. Sounds like you have taken a couple of good classes! And envelopes are a bit rote but actually very good practice and after awhile, very satisfying. However, doing them over and over again does wear on you a bit. For me, it was worrying about getting all of them right, making sure they were done by deadline, getting them shipped, etc. It is a big job and I felt the weight of the responsibility of it a few times!

I'm glad you mentioned that about the practice. I have been working on the tutorials and they really do start from the very beginning and go forward. So for many, it will be complete review. I am breaking them into small increments, so if people want they can skip and start where they are. However, as you know it is best to practice good form rather than bad as every bit of practice contributes to muscle memory.

I enjoy seeing you on Instagram and really look forward to seeing you on the forum! Thanks for joining us!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Hey Ellen!  I just found you on IG.  Love your lettering!!  I want to sign up for Molly's Skillshare class, just to have access to her videos.  I was lucky enough to go to her in-person workshop in SF last month and she is so nice!  Her calligraphy is just amazing.

I feel exactly the same way about practicing.  I don't know if I'm practicing the right way, or at least the best way to see improvement.  I tend to listen to podcasts while I'm practicing, so I just write what I hear on them, lol.  It makes for some interesting sentences!!

Erica, the image of you asleep on your laptop made me laugh out loud!!  That's serious commitment :) 

I can definitely see how envelopes would be good practice.  It's the tedious stuff that I don't look forward to (having to center the lines, draw lines on dark envelopes, erase those lines, etc.).  And yes, the pressure!!  It's someone's super special day and the invitations are the first impression of it.  Maybe I just need to wait and re-evaluate once I'm more confident.  Maybe those things won't seem as intimidating :)

Looking forward to the tutorials!  And advice on HOW to practice daily would be awesome.  Should we start every practice session the same?  With strokes, or with letters, or go straight into words??  How do we know if we're doing it right? 

Thanks for this great community :)

Wendy

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
You're so welcome! And those are great questions and helpful to me so I will be sure to answer them in the tutorials!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:01:55 PM »
Wendy, I started practicing and re-watching three seasons of Downton Abbey at the same time, writing words from the dialogue as I went along. I've saved every practice sheet and many of them have direct quotes that are hysterical! Now I'm watching HBOs Newsroom and trying to write that dialogue is like herding cats. They speak at blazing speed so I might get every 20th word or so. There's also some pretty salty language so it's kinda funny to write out words that I normally wouldn't.   :o

Thanks for commenting on my "work" but I have a very long way to go!

Offline Ange1112

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Wendy! This is one of the most giving communities  I've encountered. Happy writing!

Angela
Instagram: Ange1112

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
Oh Eileen!  I bet some of the Dowager's quotes are the best!  I love that show so much.  I haven't started Newsroom yet, but I keep hearing good things about it.  It's on my list :)

Hi Angela!!  Found you on IG, yay!  So glad there's a place like this online :)

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »
Hi Wendy! So nice to see you here! I'm seeing so many familiar names from IG and it's so great we're all connecting :D