Author Topic: Calligraphy using a standing desk?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
Calligraphy using a standing desk?
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:17:58 AM »
I wasn't certain if this question should go under the tools and supplies topic but i guess a desk is a great big tool.

Does anyone here use a standing desk for calligraphy? I've seen pictures in old publications which show people writing at a standing desk and wondered if it was possible/comfortable (once you got used to it). We have a standing desk that we use for the family computer but while it's height works well for the keyboard/mouse it's a bit awkward for writing on. I don't know if it would more comfortable for writing if the height were lower or it could be the top needs to be more angled.

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Offline RobertFontaine

• View Profile
Re: Calligraphy using a standing desk?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »
I've seen many a standing drafting table.   I've been having a bit of a think about getting a motorised standing table for my office.
It is extremely appealing in a lot of ways.   The only thing I don't like much is the price of good furniture but I am overdue to furnish my dungeon properly.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:04 PM »
Chavelli, a wonderful NY calligrapher uses this:
http://rakks.com/cardan-work-surfaces/
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:29:27 AM »
I have one of the Rakks wall mounted desks and I love it - but you have to be able to drill into the studs in the wall to mount it. The spec sheet says you can use wall togglers, but I would not trust them to support the weight of the desk.
The $150 Alvin desks can be adjusted for standing height.

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »
Thank you so much Robert, Schin and Jean for the excellent info. I never really thought about a drafting table and I have to say Rakks system is very tempting (I like the idea of having the flexibility to fold the desk area up into the wall - definitely would help to quickly free up space in my small working area depending on what I'm doing).

Thanks again for these great ideas!

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
I just set up my standing desk (yesterday!). I have some nerve problems in my neck and arm I have to be really mindful about and after trying out a makeshift standing desk using boxes and such for a few weeks, I made the plunge (with the help of my tax return...).

I got myself a Jarvis standing desk. They are pricey but really well designed and are motorized to be able to adjust to sitting or standing heights - I needed something that could do both and still fit in my small space. I find that standing while doing calligraphy helps me maintain a better posture and lessens some of the pressure I was unknowlingly putting on my neck and back. It also gives me more freedom in movement.

It takes some getting used to. I would try it out for a few weeks beforehand if possible. One thing I think is crucial, at least it was for me, is getting a standing mat (also called an anti-fatigue mat). This website has a lot is great info on all of this: http://m.thewirecutter.com/blog/how-to-stand-at-your-desk/

I can share picture or answer any other questions if you have any!

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:06:56 PM »
Your new standing desk sounds wonderful Elaina! Thank you for sharing the process you went through trying to find out if a standing desk was right for you. I think your idea about experimenting with boxes on my existing desk is a great idea (in fact I went roaming around the house trying to figure out what I could use - believe or not an old wood shoe rack actually is working out well).

Thanks again for the info everyone. I think this is what makes the Flourish Forum such a wonderful community!

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
+1 on the anti-fatique mat.
I put a set at the kitchen counter, BIG difference to our feet.
But for writing, you need to not rock on your feet, as that could make your arm unsteady.
Gary

Offline Inkysloth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »
I work at a standing desk, but I also have a high office chair, so I can perch / sit / stand alternately  (I need to move often as I have back and hip problems that complain at me if I sit in one position for too long!).

It's a large Ikea kitchen worktop with their adjustable desk legs, set to nearly their tallest setting, then an adjustable drawing board on top of that, so I can have a large flat surface for some crafts, or a writing slope for calligraphy. It's a nice flexible setup, and didn't cost a fortune.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am moving soon, so it's something to think about.