Author Topic: Less is More?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
Less is More?
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
I realized I have never posted anything I have done, so took a quick shot of a nameplate I did for a friend earlier tonight. I have a bad habit of going overboard and just keep going and going when doing something.

Too much here?

By the Way.... you don't have to be kind to critique me, be honest, I prefer brutally honest :)
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Less is More?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »
It's beautiful bro! I wouldn't say it's overly crazy.. I'm the last person to suggest that.. the flowers are beautiful but it is true that the name is hidden behind it. Next time consider making the important things (the name) pop out by making it different from other things. Perhaps use another color or a thicker stroke.. right now it is the same color and stroke size as the rest so no wonder it disappears! Otherwise it is gorgeous!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:38:32 AM »
that M is breathtaking  :o

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »
I agree with the 2 previous comments. The M is so beautiful, but I agree with Schin, the flourishes distract from the name. I find the pussy willow flourish (for a lack of a better name to call it), is too thick and too close together to the thinner throw-off flourishes. Maybe 1 or 2 less in the bunch would have spaced them out more. Also, one flower instead of two on the bottom to balance out the flourishes. But really, it is awesome as is!
Star

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
It's gorgeous! But I have to agree with the other posters that the name is getting a bit lost. I like Shin's suggestions for balancing it out more.

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »
Thanks all, exactly what I thought but didn't know why it seemed too much. The name is drowned in the back. I tend to just go and not think about layout. But I also mainly do envelopes and letters.

Thanks
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »
Beautiful! I like how you did the flowers and her name. Perhaps if you added a bit more shade to the letters, it may balance it a bit more or bring it forward. Very nice!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
Go big or go home.
I love it.
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:42 AM »
I love the way you wrote her name, but I feel that I would like it a lot more if it stood on its own.

The flourishing which constitutes the border is very dense, and there's nothing wrong with that except that it would be more compositionally sound to have it contain something equally dense, like a highly shaded drawing or something (I might actually try and do something like that now, thank you). I struggle with the same issue, which is probably why I can pick it off so quickly when someone else does it.

Colour family is very nice btw.

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
I love the 'Melissa' but yes, the flowers are a little too much. I sound so rude omg (Sorry, and I'm such a newbie). The eye usually scans things and focuses on what is most visually interesting, which in this case, is the flower and the details, which is a shame because the name should be the star of the card, then following the name, the eye gradually notices the accompanying details (from a design standpoint anyway)

Purple is pretty, but if I can suggest black text instead so it calls attention to it being a different colour, then maybe instead of 3 flower border, just have a single, smaller one. Purple complements olive green, orange, saffron, yellows, gold, white (that navy looks beautiful too)!

Otherwise, I just respect all you do and admire your ornamental skills :D Sorry if I sound a bit too objective, but there's hardly anything I would change but to nit pick..

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
I agree with everything the others have said.....however, I would go a stage further.

The word 'Melissa' is beautifully written and the flourished lettering enhances the word and balances perfectly; not too much and not too little. IMHO it is sufficiently decorated as it is and I would personally, dispense with all of the surrounding decoration which has nothing to do with the word itself. The word looks great as it is and it doesn't need the peripheral distraction.

Definitely a case of less is more!......................in my humble opinion!  :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:55:13 PM »
I really love it!  The "M" is gorgeous and the flourishing is awesome!  I would be very proud to receive something that beautiful!