Author Topic: Stamps and Letters  (Read 689 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Stamps and Letters
« on: May 01, 2022, 05:55:48 PM »
A friend pointed me to this article about using vintage stamps to decorate hand-written letters/envelopes, which I have done for years, particularly in the exchanges, matching the color envelopes or theme of the exchange. I've also received a few. Anyone else do this currently?

https://www.theglampad.com/2022/04/letter-writing-and-the-changing-face-of-stamp-collecting.html

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Stamps and Letters
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 06:37:49 PM »
Wow - what a FANTASTIC article! Thank you so much for sharing. I have purchased some and used a couple of times but I always forget. The one in the article are like an art form all on its own.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 01:01:15 AM »
I'm inspired!!  Thanks for sharing this interesting link!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 01:47:22 PM »
I love this idea so much and have some special stamps myself.....but I don't like parting with them! They typically cost more than their face value (unless you bought them a long time ago)...That adds up so I only use them for extra special notes.
Star

Offline Ashley K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »
This article is great, Anasazi, thank you for sharing! I have quite a few old stamps and they're fun to use for handwritten envelopes, but I struggle with picking and arranging them in a way that looks cohesive. Definitely going to take a few pointers from here.  ;D

Some of the examples the author shows also use rubber stamps really creatively! Maybe I should dust off my old rubber stamp collection...

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 05:25:39 PM »
LOL @Ashley K  - I was thinking the same thing about dusting off my old rubber stamp collection. And then I remembered I gave the entire tub away to a friend when we moved last year. Which is why I never get rid of anything. I always want it later.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »
I LOVE using vintage stamps & found the article really interesting- thanks for sharing.

Sadly In the uk it has recently been announced that there are to be some changes to the way stamps are being produced to stop people using ones that were bought prior to price increases.  Fortunately this only applies to the ‘Machin’ or Queen’s head stamps as far as I am aware but after Jan 2023 they will not be valid.  I need to write *ALOT* of letters!!  🤣
Nikki x

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 11:20:21 AM »
Lovely and interesting Blog. Thank you for the share @AnasaziWrites

I am also interested  in getting to this stamps. I used to be collecting  (vintage ) stamps and as adding the calligraphy into the letter writing is a great fun.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 01:03:00 PM »
That’s unfortunate! One thing I really appreciated the USPS doing was introducing the “forever” stamps. This means they are good for a first class letter envelope forever, even when the price increases. I fear at some point they will do away with the idea because they can’t seem to maintain their financial health.

Sadly In the uk it has recently been announced that there are to be some changes to the way stamps are being produced to stop people using ones that were bought prior to price increases.  Fortunately this only applies to the ‘Machin’ or Queen’s head stamps as far as I am aware but after Jan 2023 they will not be valid.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram