Author Topic: Why Spencerian?  (Read 33592 times)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Why Spencerian?
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
fewer scribes will say that they are equally good at both - and love them equally.

Really? I love them equally. I could never choose a favorite. I will say though I think my copperplate is better than my spencerian but only because I am out of practice and was never good at studying the letter forms. Now that I am, I can see all the areas I need to improve. My problem is I prefer to blend them.  :)

i shouldn't have attached *love* to the discussion.
i, too, *love* all the styles - i *love* pointed nibs and broad edge equally - i *love* the act of making letters - i love pencils, markers and gel pens as much as i love nibs and ink

many (clearly, not ALL) of us who have tried everything, do not become equally proficient at everything- so i attached *love* to the idea that some of us (some, not all) have a style (or a few styles) that we use to showcase our best work. i *love* that i have a couple styles that i feel are my best - maybe that expresses it better.

Erica: i don't see it as a problem that you blend the styles. 20 years ago, there were no classes at IAMPETH that covered variations and blending. it is refreshing that blending is now pretty mainstream. you know the steps to take if you want a very traditional look. as you say, it's more about staying in practice. reminds me of what ballerina's say. if you miss one practice day, you can tell it in yourself. if you miss two practice days in a row, your partner can tell. if you miss three practice days in a row, the audience can tell.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
Patience and self-discipline are wonderful virtues!  :D :P

Haha!

For what it's worth I've stuck rigidly to the one style, Ken ... you might suspect that has something to do with my well documented indifference to copperplate as well as my iron self-discipline, of course.   ;)

Anyway, I'm sure Karen's in a position to make an informed judgment now.  Perhaps a mentoring service might be a good idea?

Offline Karen Dismukes

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
I certainly have some things to think about. Thank you all!

Offline Karen Dismukes

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »

I say go for it, bearing in mind that the turns are tighter and the curves shallower, and that less is more when it comes to shading.  Any of the Spencer Brothers' textbooks will provide good exemplars, but I rather like the Payson, Dunton and Scribner Manual of Penmanship which is quite an interesting read, and very thorough.

I ordered and have received a reprint of this book. Just having a copy in my hands should satisfy me for a little while.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2015, 03:27:33 AM »
That was quick.  I hope you'll let us know how things go: if it turns out that copperplate and Spencerian are truly incompatible and you're driven to distraction, at least we can use you as a cautionary tale.  ;)