Author Topic: Getting motivated  (Read 2170 times)

Offline mandybuckley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Getting motivated
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:32:21 AM »
I'm feeling a little disheartened lately with how little I'm seeing any improvement in my work and lacking the motivation to practice because of it..

Does anyone else go through a lull when you don't see yourself improving? What do you to snap yourself out of your calligra-slump?

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Getting motivated
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:23:35 AM »
One way to resolve slumps is to find examples of lettering that is exactly where you want to be some day and then trace it. There is something very satisfying about seeing perfect lettering come out of your hand. Even though you are tracing, it simply feels good. Of course you can't pass it off as your own work. But it is fun to see. I have mentioned this previously on the forum _ignore the story if you are tired of reading it- Many years ago when I was invited to participate in an invitation-only class with one of the true masters - and I was seriously intimidated because I knew I was a complete beginner - I just spent all my spare time leading up to the workshop tracing an exemplar from one of the top lettering artists. By the time I got to the workshop, I felt fine. I still needed a bunch of help, but it really got me over the hump. Nobody recommends tracing as the primary way to learn, but I have not heard anyone say that it is a complete waste of time.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:45:02 AM »
There are many ways to tackle this. If I am in a creative slump, I put the pen down and get out to explore the world for inspiration. When it's a learning slump like this, I examine my work to pinpoint exactly what it is about it that makes me unhappy. Overall 'I don't like this piece' is ineffective and saps the motivation. So I look more closely, Am I shaky? Are my letter forms sloppy? Is it a particular letter? The shading? Identifying the trouble spots tell where you need to focus. I also look for things that I DO like about my practice, and hopefully even find some things that I might be improving on as that helps me to stay motivated to tackle the weak areas. Then, I still put my pen down and pick up some exemplars to study and try to etch in my mind. I have a terrible memory, so that is a slow process for me. But it is important to study as much, if not more, than you physically practice. Then, when you do pick up the pen, focus on one weak spot that you identified at a time until you feel better about it. Calligraphy is journey. Like exercise, we plateau. Sometimes you just need to change up the routine.
Star

ash0kgiri

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:19 AM »
I'm feeling a little disheartened lately with how little I'm seeing any improvement in my work and lacking the motivation to practice because of it..

Hey Mandy,

Although Jean and Starlee have given you the much needed advice.

Let me tell you my experience on this and when I was going through the same state of mind. Im also a beginner like you, who had absolutely no knowledge or even heard of pointed pen calligraphy. A friend of mine told me that there are flexible nibs that split creating a thicker shade. He had to show me videos to make me believe and at that moment decided to go for it.

So while I was watching some amazing videos with such beautiful writing on the contrary I couldn't write basic cursive. As Jean have already mentioned I thought of tracing the letters. So took copperplate letters from google, printed it like a watermark and started tracing it. It helped me understand the letter form and realised it was not as easy as i thought. :( At one point I infact thought of giving it up thinking its not my cup of tea.

Thats when I got introduced to this forum and from that day things started changing for me. So how did it happen? I immediately started posting my practise sheets that I had done before for others to see and comment on it. People on this forum are generous to help you with how you should start your learning process. It was then I realised were I was going wrong. I was just writing and not learning, because I never knew the process. I followed the comments religiously and used to practise for hours and made sure I posted those drills the next day for comments again. I still do it. Since Im working I don't get time during the day, But I make sure I only sit post dinner for minimum 3-4 hours every night till I have finished working on the comments received the day before, again to post them the next day for experts to see. I saw my copperplate improved and its been improving every day.

What I learned is even though you would love to see yourself write the exemplars compositions you like but if you break them down and focus on parts of individual letters or groups of letter which form similar letters, its easier to learn them and more on to the next.

Im sure you will find such stories on this forum but i thought its easy to tell mine :D. I have attached a comparison of the very first para I wrote in "Copperplate" then and now along with the link of my work in 'Kind Critique' section. Have a look if you get some time. Read through the comments and process I've been following.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4833.0

If you have read this long Im sure you can sit even longer doing your drills :D.
Let me know if I could help you in any way.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:51:06 PM by ash0kgiri »

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
I think for me I practice more in the colder months than the warmer ones. Plus I have a million things to do during the summer too. I have a schedule set for all my commitments and hobbies. That way I can look and see my ink time which I get excited for.

I don't know if you have pen pals, or participate in the FF exchanges, but these are great motivators too.

Also, I like to practice a different hand in brush, pointed, broad, and folded pens. I will practice a traditional hand with my pointed pen, then pick up brush and practice for awhile too. I call it ADD calligraphy. That's just me.

Many great instructors say to study calligraphy lettering as much as you write. This helps me in creating motivation.

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:11:06 PM »
How about teaching someone else? This can be a motivator too.
-- Alexander --

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
Great advice in here !
I guess everyone goes through calligra-slumps every once in a while... I know I do have to battle these at least twice a year.
This happens to me when I lose the joy of practicing, when my writing feels forced and when I get the feeling that I'm always doing the same thing.

When I started out, I would just stop repeating always the same bothering mistake over and over again (like writing rows of a's) and go on to having fun with the pen, writing words, studying a different letter, writing a whole alphabet just to see that I can have fun and sometimes surprise myself in doing so. After that, I was able to go back to more serious practice with a lighter heart.

Nowadays, I tend to try and learn a specific movement that I copy from the Universal Penman or any other master example. I just focus on a flourish, deconstruct it, focus on proportion and movement, try to copy it as perfectly as I can and then I end up making it my own. Then it shows up in my work all the time, but I feel good and confident about it.

The most difficult thing for me right now is that I have the feeling I'm always posting the same boring kind of design... As I'm doing a 365 challenge, I guess it's inevitable to repeat myself. Since the beginning of the kids' holidays I am exhausted and I just can't spend as much time on my daily headlines  as I would like. I know it will get better and I will eventually get out of that slump, but I have to fight the need to apologize every day for posting the same thing...
That being said I know I am still learning something new about myself and my calligraphy everyday, I can feel that the things I have learned during the first 6 months of my challenge are being imprinted in my brain during this down time. I just have to learn to feel good about not "revolutionising" my calligraphy every single day as that is just impossible ;)

Don't worry, you'll have fun with your pens again ! You will find your own way to cope with these slumps and you will learn that they eventually allow you to evolve.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:41:05 AM »
Hi @sybillevz

Thats a wonderful point you made. Keep a goal to yourself. Doesn't matter how small or big.
Well said.

- Ashok

Offline mandybuckley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
Thank you everyone! All your responses have definitely given me a different way to look at my practice and work. I've taken all your suggestions on board and I'm trying a little bit of what you've all suggested. I'm yet to post my work in the forum (still building up the courage to do this!).