Author Topic: Your favorite pointed nibs  (Read 13798 times)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite pointed nibs
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »
I have a question about vintage nibs...it sounds like you can still buy them? Are you buying nibs actually made 100 or so years ago, or are these companies making new nibs modeled of nibs of old? Where do you find them?
Star

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
I have a question about vintage nibs...it sounds like you can still buy them? Are you buying nibs actually made 100 or so years ago, or are these companies making new nibs modeled of nibs of old? Where do you find them?

Vintage does indeed mean they can be up to (and older) than 100 years of age. And of course there are a few that are reproduced (Gillott 303/404/290/etc., Esterbrook 354/355, Hunt 22/101 and of course the Principal which was modeled after the Gillott Principality) but are not as good as their vintage counterparts. Most of it has to do with the fact that nibs used have much better quality control and many were hand finished to ensure the best standards because it was such a large industry, nib manufacturers dont go to those lengths anymore because of the relatively small market for them.

I have some Spencerian 1's from the early 1900s that have become my favorite nib. They write similar to the Leonard Principal but are almost as smooth as a G nib, it's quite amazing how well they are made and how they hold up.

EDIT: Vendors like PIA and John Neal carry a few vintage nibs but most are found on eBay these days. There are sites like Calligraphic Arts that carry a wide range but their prices are quite a premium. For example they sell the Spencerian 1 (and it looks like it's the newer model which was of poorer quality than the first generation) for $3.75 each while I paid less than $2 each for mine (1st generation). Of course to get them that cheap you have to buy large lots otherwise they run about $2-4 each in smaller batches (if you can find them).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:12:17 PM by Heebs »

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
The spencerian 1 sounds like a great nib. Haven't had the chance to try one out yet.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »
Thank you!! I will have to keep my eye out for them. Would so love to try one out!
Star

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »
reply to starlee: The vintage nibs that I have in inventory are mostly the nibs that I have acquired over my 35+ years in the calligrahic world. Some were purchased from a stationery store which went out of business, some were purchased from sellers in Fort Worth and other cities, some from estate sales, and some from sellers on Ebay and mostly purchasing and using and not selling them. I retired from my calligraphy business a short few years ago (arthritis) and realized that my huge nib inventory was far too large and should be shared with calligraphers from all over the world. Currently I have several listed on Ebay along with the 7 models of penstaffs that I make which I am proud to say have received rave reviews from purchasers from all over the world. I keep my "hand" in by writing a monthly article on helpful hints in both the Fort Worth and Dallas Guilds' newsletters. ALL these nibs are from the original manufacturers with the exception of the new Leonardt EF Principal nib which is a remake of the old original. And most all the rest of the inventory are the older models from the original manufacturers made from "Old Steel".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:16:25 PM by penstaff »