Author Topic: What's your workstation like?  (Read 51502 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: What's your workstation like?
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »
I would be worried about the humidity from the dryer affecting the paper - unless you have good ventilation! (My last house definitely did NOT, and nothing stayed dry in that laundry, ever.)

The lint would be a problem for the computer, too - you could collect a lot of vent filth very fast in that kind of environment.

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2016, 05:14:47 AM »
I seriously wish we have Ikea in the Philippines!

I love looking at everyone's workstations!!

This is mine...lots of Ikea, need a bulletin board (washi tape does not cut it), posed Buddy (we're working on "stay"), and it's never this clean!  ;)

Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
This thread is so insipiring! Many wonderfull workstations here!
As soon I tidy up I will take some photos too!
I live in a big mess with paper and boxes everywhere  ::) I'm currently looking for a new home and the first request is "I need a studio; and then maybe a kitchen  ;D "

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
I am fortunate to have a dedicated space.  My work room/office used to be part of a 1st floor bedroom.  Real nice for me, since the former owners had a wet bar in their bedroom!  This is about as cleaned up as it gets.  On the opposite wall that you can't see, I have a giant stand-up light table that I bought from my daughter's wedding photographer in 2009, used it once & now it just holds files.   ;)  Believe it or not, I'm most excited about how I rigged up an outlet strip with velcro underneath my work table & strung power cords through large paper clips that are attached to the edge of the table.  Yeah....it's the little things!! 
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline Niki Fowler

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
I set up a small workstation in the corner of my office just for calligraphy (and also as a place to stack books on, because I don't have a piece of furniture without a bookstack on it). I'm using an old desk that belonged to my husband's grandmother, which I plan to restore someday. It makes me feel like a scholarly penman, which is a lovely bonus.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2016, 08:15:05 PM »
I have an L-shaped desk at work. One side holds the computer, one side holds my writing supplies.

I think it's gotten a little out of control.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:19:08 PM by AAAndrew »
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2016, 08:25:52 AM »
Andrew, your glasses are amazing! I love it when calligraphers lay their glasses down with their work. Perhaps a future off-topic thread? O-O

Btw, the way you store your nibs is interesting. What's going on there?

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
I'm assuming you're not talking about the nibs just scattered across the desk.   ::)

The ones that seem to be just hanging on the edge are on a little homemade nib holder I cobbled together. It's basically a strip of wood with a bevel to which I glued a fairly strong magnetic strip. (most of the sheet magnets you get at the hobby stores are too weak) I then just covered it in paper and it holds my nibs quite well. I keep thinking one of these days I'll make a nicer version. It needs to be a bit wider at the base to make it more stable, or have a base at all might help. I'm thinking a strip of steel with a series of small magnets behind might work well. It's a great idea, I just need to make the next step past my improvised prototype. And I'd need one 15 feet long for all the nibs I have hanging out. (multi-tier?)

The glasses are some reading glasses I bought and really like, but my wife hates them. So they're at work.  :)  The big lenses actually work really well for writing and calligraphy because there're no frame lines in your vision.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »
The ones that seem to be just hanging on the edge are on a little homemade nib holder I cobbled together. It's basically a strip of wood with a bevel to which I glued a fairly strong magnetic strip.
A knife holder would be a similar idea.

I was wondering, have any of your nibs been magnetized, having been on the holder a while? If so, might that affect ink flow when using iron gall ink?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:20:07 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »
I've thought about how to make a much smaller version of those. It's what gave me the idea.

The magnet doesn't seem to have affected ink flow. I suspect the iron particles in the ink are far too small to be affected. I do have a few nibs that seem to become somewhat magnetized, but that only is an issue when I try and sort them from other nibs.

Offline cjfrancese79

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
I have this old writing desk which became a repository for all my random junk and decided to clean it out and use it for its original function. I'll use it for practice and smaller projects. When I need more space I'll break out the drafting table. 

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »
@AnasaziWrites -- thanks for your suggestion to re-invigorate this topic!
@Ivan R -- maybe seeing how others arrange their workspace in this thread will give you other ideas for storage solutions.

Here's my snug little workroom.  I can reach almost everything I need from my table - which is an old, retro photo drafting table, with an integrated light box top, that I can adjust the angle of too. I like to work at an angle for broad edge, but I can put it flat for pointed pen or illustration work.  To the left, you can see my ink cabinet, which is a lovely piece of woodworking that a friend made for me in exchange for a calligraphy piece, and the string I clip pieces to while they are drying.  Papers and card stock and reference books are in the shelving below the sideboard.  The little space itself is a sunroom with glorious natural lighting, and it has a big radiator in it, so it stays warm enough in the winter (which, yes, that's snow outside - it's been snowing for three days now; we got about 5 inches yesterday - 20 Oct 2020).