Author Topic: Hi there from DC!  (Read 1054 times)

Offline hzw8813

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi there from DC!
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:19:00 PM »
I'm a calligraphy hobbyist living in Washington, DC. I started to practice consistently from start of this year, when I started having eye issues that bar me from looking at a computer for too long. I am currently practicing Copperplate and Spencerian, and have previously picked up a bit of blackletter, though I much prefer pointed pen scripts. When I'm bored at work, I practice business penmanship with a pencil.

I don't have any friends who have even a remotely similar hobby, so I wanted to join to forum to find like minded calligraphy enthusiasts.

I look forward to learning from everyone on this forum!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:13:55 PM by hzw8813 »

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Hi there from DC!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  If you stick with calligraphy for long enough (and it won't take long), you'll soon have friends to share your hobby with. :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
Welcome @hzw8813

Sounds like you have taken an interest in a variety of hands! It's so hard to choose one. Welcome to Flourish!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline hzw8813

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
Erica, I have completely forfeited my broad pen once I fully allowed myself to dive into the pointed pen scripts. Broad pen requires a different muscle memory, and until I get what I want in pointed pen, I'm not dabbling back and forth.

That said, I have a fun little project of replicating my diplomas from college and grad school this year, so that will eventually force me to take another hard look at blackletter.

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
Welcome and hope you are enjoying the forum! Like you, I eye other forms of calligraphy, but prefer the pointed pen styles.
Love-LOVE Virginia and DC!!!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
I think that is wise to stick to one hand at a time. And I am the same way...once I found pointed pen, it was hard to go back to broad (although I do still enjoy it).

I love the idea for your project and hope you will share it with us when complete!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

ash0kgiri

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:12:23 AM »
Hi @hzw8813,

Warm welcome to Flourish, I just glanced through your IG page and you Spencerian work is so amazing, especially the 'Mothers Day' card. Wow!!!
Oh and not to mention your Broadpen skills and copperplate.

Hope you like it here. Keep posting you work in 'Kind Critique' section for us to see.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline hzw8813

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 08:11:12 AM »
@ash0kgiri Thank you very much! That means a lot to me. I've followed you on IG for a while - love your Copperplate!