Author Topic: Is there a doctor in the house? Pangram #3  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Is there a doctor in the house? Pangram #3
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
I decided to brush up on my Engrosser's Script since I will be going to IAMPETH in August. Woo hoo! Man, I am rusty on traditional scripts! But I enjoyed the practice.

This my third in the pangrams that make sense series.  ;D I thought I would try to make this look like an x-ray so I inverted the photograph.

Also, this uses a very traditional Engrosser's Script by H. G. Healey from the Zanerian Manual. I figured since it is out of print, I would try to do some examples featuring scripts from the text.

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a doctor in the house? Pangram #3
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »
This might be easier to see the script... it's a photo, not a scan so sorry about the color.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
Please forgive me as I'm still learning but I thought engrossers script was copperplate?
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Hi Nickki,
It is ... sort of ... it's complicated. I'll dig up the thread where we talk about it. I made the distinction because this is a formal hand (exemplar) from the Zanerian manual that is specifically referred to as Engrosser's Script.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
This might be the discussion (I was curious as I had forgotten as well)

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=230.0

Someone can correct me but the gist I get is that Engrosser's script (/Copperplate) are based off of English Roundhand and are not considered handwriting (which Roundhand is) but rather drawing letters. So is the difference (if any vs Engrosser's) that Copperplate is still considered to be handwriting?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:36:56 PM by Heebs »

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
caught up...and hopefully my #4 will be better...
and this gave me a chuckle since i have been dealing with xrays this week...while on vacation my 2 year old lil guy took a bad fall off the bed and broke his left collar bone...ouch!  how to keep a very active little boy in a sling for 3 weeks i have no clue!  all he wants to do is jump off the bed, the couch, the chairs...i have aged 5 years in 5 days  ;D

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »
Omg Joi, that's horrible. I can totally related I had two little boys who were hell on wheels. I'm surprised I made it through alive. Lol hang in there with that little guy.

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »
nickki - thanks, and OMG little boys are CRAZY!!!  he does things his older sister would have even thought to do!

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
Well and then came my daughter, my baby. Who by the way was heavy influenced by her hell on wheels other brothers. So she was a tom boy doing everything they did. Wow like I said I'm surprised I made it. Hehe 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
Aww... poor little guy.  :( But lovely lettering Joi! Love that capital T and your x!  :D

I'm going to quote from the other thread because otherwise, I'll mess it up and this was a perfect summary...

From FrenchBlue Joy:

It makes more sense to see how the terms get muddled when we take for granted that we're talking about all pointed pen styles!  In fact English Roundhand is not a pointed pen style at all-- it was written with a thin and flexible, but squared-off quill. 

The look of the script changed and evolved over many many years, especially also when pointed tips began to be used.  The term "Copperplate script" used to refer to the calligraphy itself (and not simply the reproduction method) was not used until the 1930s!! By then it appeared in a compendium called "The English Writing-Masters and Their Copy-Books 1570-1800".  So already it has to be clear-- there is a lot of change an evolution which happened during those years. 

Over time the look of the script changed quite a lot.    Because of the smoothing "photoshop" effects that were possible through the engraving process (like you mentioned, Estefa), and the adoption of pointed pens, and many other style changes along the way, there actually developed a style of script which tried to emulate those perfect engravings.  The script was definitely based on English Roundhand, but featured a more elliptical oval work with enough difference in terms of slant and high ligatures (which kind of spring up quickly and more steeply) , that these styles began to be called "Engraver's Script" and "Engrosser's Script", both also called "Copperplate Script".

Unlike Roundhand, they were definitely not a handwriting style, written swiftly.  They are formed very slowly and carefully.  The progenitor hand for Engrosser's, Engraver's, and Copperplate script IS Roundhand, which confusingly is also called "Copperplate"...  though it wasn't called that at all in its own day.  This gets confusing, right?  This is why sometimes the term "copperplate calligraphy" is avoided altogether.  It is simply easier to speak about English Roundhand and Engrosser's or Engraver's scripts to be different things completely.  Or just accept that they can both be called Copperplate, but it will make conversations like this one a bit muddled! 

Hopefully it's clear that when people say "Copperplate Script", they are not always talking about the same thing!  This history of this script begins with English Roundhand --> Gets engraved onto "Copper Plates" --> Begins to inspire calligraphers by the perfection of the engraving process --> Influences changes to the script as its written on the paper --> Brings about an innovation in the style and the type of quill point --> Begins to be called "Copperplate Script" in its own right.  Equally called Engraver's and Engrosser's Script. 

What is taught these days as Copperplate usually more closely resembles Engrosser's than Roundhand, because of the way the ligatures sit on the baseline.  Roundhand is, effectively, more "round".  The spacing between the letters is different.  Engrosser's script looks like it's sucking in its belly, by contrast!  And incidentally, this style is more what leads into Spencerian and other rapid business scripts, later, which favor the steep ligatures.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »
Here's mine :-)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
BEAUTIFUL Nickki! I love your r's! And that t crossbar - sweet!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
Thanks Erica. But if you look really close im struggling with squaring everything. I think partly because of my eye sight. I've been
 in denial but it might be time for glasses for up close seeing 😕

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
@joi – I hope your little boy gets well soon!! I know how that is, and believe me, twin girls with an elder brother are also quite challenging ;D – I feel like an animal tamer sometimes!!! Your calligraphy looks beautiful though!

@Nikkih – looks great, Nichol!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
thanks stef! i think ALL children are challenging no matter what ;)
nickki - guess what? im picking up a small magnifying glass today just for the purpose of being able to see the tops better and to square them off!!!