Author Topic: Letters to the American president – article in the New York Times  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
A very interesting article about work in president Obama's mail room – very moving also. If it's in the wrong forum section, sorry Erica!! I wasn't sure where to post it.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/magazine/what-americans-wrote-to-obama.html
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Re: Letters to the American president – article in the New York Times
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »
That was really good. I liked reading it, thank you for sharing. I skipped through a few of the letters only because I didn't want to end up crying in the office. But I read all the way to the end.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »
Ugh this amazing read made me tear up at work. Incredible from beginning to end!
What whos crying? Youre crying! Who's cutting onions in here??
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
Well, I was at liberty to read this alone in my home office, and so cry cut onions I did.  So many onions!

Thank you for sharing, Estefa, and thanks for the needed "chaser" laugh, Schin.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
Wow - this article was so interesting! President Obama has been such a gracious president.

I know, though, that previous presidents have had a similar program because I received one of those letters.  :)

I am sharing my letter from President George HW Bush (the first President Bush). I was a young, patriotic college grad who had just graduated during a horrible recession (1991). None of my graduating friends had jobs, fast food restaurant jobs were even hard to come by, and Gulf War - Operation Desert Storm - was just coming to a close. Back then, (pre-9/11 and pre-Anthrax), you could write to service members and address it, "Any Service Member." I had written several letters and postcards (in calligraphy of course) to service members and had made friends with several and learned a lot about what they were going through. Having completed four years of studying propaganda and persuasion, and being a young adult who thought I knew everything (ha ha), I wrote President Bush a letter telling him what I thought he was doing wrong and what he needed to change to help our country.

Much to my surprise, he responded to my letter - with a handwritten letter! And not only that - he used part of my letter in a campaign speech he gave in NH (my home state). To top it off, he invited me and my parents to a breakfast to meet him and hear the speech! OK - here is the bad part (in hindsight)... I did not go. My husband, then boyfriend, was swimming in the National College Championships in ND that same weekend and I was already scheduled to go. As a young flippy adult would think, I figured I would be married to my future husband for the rest of my life and GHWB would only be president for a short time longer.  :o  ;D

But my parents went and met the President and his wife. And I now have this lovely letter as a keepsake and reminder of my young, naive self. It was, however, the first time I thought of the angst our President must go through when hearing from all sides. Since then, I have learned to be more gracious and empathize, no matter the side of politics.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
OMG Erica! Your husband better feel very special... he's more important than the president to you! And I bet you brought the president a couple pegs down too... this young woman rather see her boyfriend swim than meet the leader of the country.. haha!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline claire lander

• waves_and_grace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
Wow Erica!

This is such a moving article. Thank you for posting @Estefa

x
dreamer...