Author Topic: Can you help me find my favorite nib?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline InkedPaws

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Can you help me find my favorite nib?
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
Hello everyone! I am new to Calligraphy. I was wondering if I can get some recommendations on vintage nibs. The sheer number of nibs out there is just overwhelming for me and I don't know where to start. I am looking for a super buttery smooth nib that can produce both super fine lines and dramatic swells to write Spencerian with. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Someone gave me a John Mitchell 0138 to try and I fell in love with it! It writes as smooth as butter! And I am able to produce super fine lines and dramatic swells, especially when using walnut ink. I love it because it has a brush like bouncy quality and it is very responsive. It was because of this nib that I discovered that I strongly preferred Spencerian over Copperplate. It is a joy to write with and makes me want to practice Calligraphy for hours!

These are some of the nibs I've tried so far: I started with the Nikko G nib because it was highly recommended for new calligraphers. The problem is that I found it uncomfortable to use because it requires so much pressure. Perhaps I have a naturally light touch. Then I tried some Hunt nibs (I don't remember the numbers) but they were unbearably scratchy; it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. I am not sure if mine were defective or I am just highly sensitive to scratchy nibs. The next nib I tried was the Brause 66EF and I still find it too scratchy. The Brause 361 Blue Pumpkin isn't as scratchy, but it is difficult for me to produce fine lines and it was too stiff for my taste.

Does anyone know where to buy the John Mitchell 0138 nibs? If anyone has any extra that they don't want, I would love to do a trade. I have a stockpile of fountain pen safe notebooks. These notebooks have a very similar texture to Rhodia notebooks; I would describe the paper as having a smooth plastic feel. I've used all sorts of inks on them and have not experienced any bleeding. I have 2 versions; lined and graph. I also have lots of brand new stackable plastic bead containers with 10 individual compartments that can store nibs.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:24:47 PM by InkedPaws »

Offline MrMGWard

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me find my favorite nib?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:04:30 AM »
Hey InkedPaws

I would recommend trying a Leonardt Principle EF if you have not yet. It is my Spencerian nib of choice currently. You may find it a bit on the scratchy side, but it just requires a light hand, and ensuring the nib is always held at the right angle. It is a modern nib, still in production, so supply is not limited like a vintage would be. I personally would recommend against falling in love with vintage nibs in general. They are on average overly expensive, and do not have any magical calligraphy powers hah.

Good luck on your Spencerian journey!

Mike

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:21:52 AM »
You can buy it from here, @InkedPaws ! Is it the one you're looking for? You should see a pic if you click on the name of the nib. It costs 2,20 € (around 2,60 $) which makes it a bit more expensive than the L. Principal, but in my experience most vintage nib last quite a bit ;). Depending on what you do with them of course ;D.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline InkedPaws

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
Hi Mr.MG, thanks for the recommendation! I'll try that one out. It is kind of difficult for me to stay away from the vintage nibs, I think I might be in love with them  :-* Plus, a part of the fun is to try to track them down or trade for them.

Hi Estefa, thanks for the website. Yes, thats the nib! And thats quite an expensive price for just one nib! If I can't find it elsewhere I'll buy it from there. Thanks again.

I plan to "write" with my nibs. Do people do other stuff with these nibs? Now I am curious to know what else can they be used for  :o