Author Topic: Erasing ink and pencil  (Read 6286 times)

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
Erasing ink and pencil
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »
Haven't seen a topic of erasing ink and pencil from artwork - am I missing something? If you do not have an electric (not battery operated) you are missing an indispensable tool to have in your supplies. I used the white pencil stick eraser in my motorized eraser almost exclusively since it did a good job, and didn't tear a hole in the paper as easily as the more abrasive stick erasers. But, if not careful the white pencil stick eraser will eat your paper also. To erase pencil, not so much of a problem, just erase lightly until the graphic markings are gone, plus the white eraser doesn't leave any erasure color on your artwork. Of course you might want to burnish the paper after erasing.
Now for erasing ink: the white pencil stick eraser WILL erase ink. Do not leave the eraser on the paper but a short time (kinda bounce the eraser on the letter or word you want removed)…this method takes a bit longer to erase, but your artwork is protected more than anyother method that I have ever used. This will pick up the ink and not leave a hole. An eraser shield will help also to protect the area you don't want erased. After erasing you may want to burnish the erased area so that you can write over this area to correct your mistake.
Hope this thread helps those who are struggling with erasing mistakes (we all make them). Sorry, couldn't show the image).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:41:02 PM by penstaff »

Offline chantellehoffmann

• View Profile
    • Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy
Re: Erasing ink and pencil
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:54:35 PM »
As someone prone to make stupid mistakes after writing a large piece, this erasing tool you've mentioned sounds wonderful! Could you share a link that shows what this tool looks like and where we can purchase one? Thanks for your many tips shared on the forum!! We're lucky to have someone here with your breadth of experience!

Cheers,
Chantelle
Chantelle Hoffmann
Instagram: @bespokestrokes Web:BespokeStrokes.com Facebook: FB

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
Chantelle, they're electric erasers. They were used a lot in drafting engineering/architectural plans and I'm sure in many other arts. The old-school ones were big, metal, and required long cords you could plug in. Now you can find handheld ones at art supply stores!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:38:48 PM by Briana »
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »
Thanks Briana! I'll have a peek around my local stores. Sounds like it could be a helpful tool :)
Chantelle Hoffmann

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Reply to chantelle: tried to insert a photo, but the image is too large to post. Most any office suply house will have them in stock ranging from $75-$100 - and worth more. They also will carry different asbrasive sticks that will fit the eraser tool.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »
Wow, not the cheapest tool are they? Nevertheless, I'll add it to the "when I feel I deserve a calligraphy treat" wish list  ;D. Thanks penstaff!
Chantelle Hoffmann

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »
Reply to Chantelle (love the name): No, not the cheapest tool you can find, but as much as you will use it you'll find it to pay for itself in no time at all. Besides, they last indefinitely.
penstaff

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 04:29:44 AM »
Hi Penstaff,
Do you think the battery operated ones work well?  I found one on the Staples website for $16.99.

http://www.staples.com/Koh-I-Noor-Electric-Eraser-Each/product_1050796
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »
reply to Roseann: The battery operated erasers that I have used in the past don't hold a candle to the electric erasers. The battery operated erasers will stall under very little pressure - the electric ones keep on going. Sure, the price is is higher, but in this case you get what you pay for. No, the electric eraser is far superior than the battery operated ones that I have used. And no, I don't sell them, just endorse them to all my calligraphic friend! Invest that $16.99 onto the electric - you won't be sorry or disappointed.

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »
I almost laughed out loud when my boss brought this by my desk recently. Here's the electric eraser (by Koh-I-Noor) I was describing! If you use the gray STAEDTLER pens (or any non-permanent pen or ink), this will erase them! As you can tell, penstaff wasn't kidding about these lasting forever. Pretty sure this is from the 80's and has been taped up multiple times. As my boss said, "It's a little janky but it still works!"

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:34:06 PM by Briana »
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »
I had no idea -- thanks for sharing! (And I remember using old-school typewriter erasers.) Awesome!

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
I had no problem using the electric eraser on any kind of ink - some inks just take a bit longer to remove than others. It's best to use an eraser shield and kinda bounce the white eraser stick on the ink-meaning don't leave it on the paper too long or you have a hole in the paper. This method works great, but a bit longer than using a more abrasive stick. Thanks to Briana for the photo, and BTW there are several different brands on the market (all styled the same and work the same-just a different brand). Before writing over the erasure you may want to burnish the papers fibres so they will lie flat (might even want to spray the erasure with Krylon Fixative before rewriting).
penstaff

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
Before writing over the erasure you may want to burnish the papers fibres so they will lie flat (might even want to spray the erasure with Krylon Fixative before rewriting).
penstaff

That answers a big concern I had about using erasers, as they rough up the surface and pointed pens are so sensitive to that. Looks like I'd better get some Krylon Fixative.  :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
Lori, be sure to spray the Krylon OUTSIDE!  It stinks!! The smell dissipates, so it won't ruin your work, but you definitely don't want to spray it in your house!  If you use it, just give the piece short, quick bursts! (1 or 2). Or, burnish the spot with glassine paper, using the back of a spoon over the erasure spot!  You can get the Krylon at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, etc.!