Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Spencerian Script / Re: Sandserian
« Last post by Zivio on July 14, 2024, 10:12:32 PM »
@Zivio

I don't know how you get the sand to cooperate …

It’s like ink — sometimes too wet, sometimes too dry.  You need to find Goldilocks sand!
Spencerian Script / Re: Sandserian
« Last post by InkyFingers on July 14, 2024, 04:45:10 PM »
@Zivio

I don't know how you get the sand to cooperate.  But I always wonder why people visit the beach so much....

https://imgur.com/JXJovlk
2024 Exchanges / Re: Perpetual Exchange #2 | Calligraphy Book Club 2024
« Last post by Erica McPhee on July 13, 2024, 06:10:59 PM »
Just a reminder Tammy will be sitting this one out, too. Thanks!
Show & Tell / Re: Jazz musicians
« Last post by Ken Fraser on July 13, 2024, 04:46:04 PM »
Thanks Mike.

A great deal of my playing was in a trio setting backing solo musicians. This took place on and in various clubs and a few concert halls throughout the country.

2024 Exchanges / Re: Perpetual Exchange #2 | Calligraphy Book Club 2024
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on July 13, 2024, 10:19:41 AM »
Opting out of this one as well--too far behind on other projects/calligraphy courses.
Show & Tell / Re: Jazz musicians
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on July 13, 2024, 10:16:40 AM »
That's incredible. Those are some great players. Did you play in a particular, popular club, @Ken Fraser  ?
Show & Tell / Jazz musicians
« Last post by Ken Fraser on July 13, 2024, 10:00:12 AM »
Over the past sixty years or so, it has been my pleasure and priviledge as a jazz pianist to play with many of the great musicians of the past and present in concerts, in jazz clubs and in broadcasts. In an idle moment, I tried to compile a listing of as many as I could remember, and this is the result. For most, with no knowledge or interest in the genre, this listing will be unfamiliar, but those with even a passing interest will recognise many of the finest jazz musicians of the past and present. I am aware that this is probably the ultimate name-dropping ego trip but it was great fun trying to remember as many as possible.
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: Coping with perfectionism
« Last post by Matthew H. on July 12, 2024, 04:39:42 PM »
This’ an interesting topic!  When I was first learning calligraphy (Copperplate), my daughter’s roommate was engaged. Her mother taught herself calligraphy.  She sent one of the invitations to her daughter at the apartment  I was so impressed with her writing!  The girl gave me the envelope, since I was so enamored with it.  I ran across it in the back of a drawer in my writing desk a couple of weeks ago. Now, all I can see are the errors!  So, I guess our understanding of what is “perfect” is variable and ever-changing!  Don’t sweat the process & not attaining “perfection”!  Just strive to get better!

Janis

That's a feeling I'm afraid I know well. I have a folder with old work in it, and it's horrifying to leaf through it and see how something that had once seemed passable now seems unforgivable!

The trouble is, I've noticed how I use that particular stash of evidence to justify my procrastination: "Ah, but if I wait just one more month to complete this project and keep practising, think how much better it'll be by then! Then I'll be happy with it."

I think this is what they call self-deception. ;)
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: A new Student (or two)!
« Last post by JanisTX on July 11, 2024, 06:23:29 PM »
That’s really beautiful!!  Congratulations!

Janis
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: Coping with perfectionism
« Last post by JanisTX on July 11, 2024, 06:21:44 PM »
This’ an interesting topic!  When I was first learning calligraphy (Copperplate), my daughter’s roommate was engaged. Her mother taught herself calligraphy.  She sent one of the invitations to her daughter at the apartment  I was so impressed with her writing!  The girl gave me the envelope, since I was so enamored with it.  I ran across it in the back of a drawer in my writing desk a couple of weeks ago. Now, all I can see are the errors!  So, I guess our understanding of what is “perfect” is variable and ever-changing!  Don’t sweat the process & not attaining “perfection”!  Just strive to get better!

Janis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10