Author Topic: Hello from CT  (Read 170 times)

Offline ireneblumenthal

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from CT
« on: June 26, 2024, 12:28:04 AM »
I’ve lived in Connecticut all my adult life, although I grew up on Long Island in a New York City suburb.  My first introduction to calligraphy was through an adult ed class some 40+ years ago.  I learned some broad point styles, (Gothic and Italic) but when I saw pointed pen, I was smitten.  My pointed pen is self taught and now that I have access to online courses I’ve been working on unlearning some bad habits.  I’ve taken a number of classes on flourishing, but still struggle to achieve the gracefulness I aiming for.  I’m hoping this forum can both teach and inspire me.  Calligraphy-wise, I mainly address wedding invitations, although much less than I used to now that all the printers offer “guest addressing”.  Otherwise I am a retired financial planner.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from CT
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 09:49:44 AM »
Hi Irene,
We have so much in common! Are you mainly focusing on Copperplate (Engrosser's Script) or Spencerian? Sad to see wedding invitations are now using printed addresses instead of hand done calligraphy but perhaps we will see that come back around in time.

What classes have you taken or are you interested in taking?
Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ireneblumenthal

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 04:53:58 PM »
I do a lot of copperplate  but I have also learned pointed pen uncial, weaver's script, storybook script (ala Kathy Milici), Spencerian, and most recently Madarasz (with Schin Loong).  Also use brush pens on occasion.  I don't love modern calligraphy, but my brides kept asking for it, so I've done that too.  I rather like Suzanne Cunningham's modern and that's favorite modern style.  I started out with broad point and abandoned it the minute I saw pointed pen.  My current new thing is ruling pen -- but I am so copperplate rigid I doubt I'll ever get the hang of that free form style.  I'm retired and have tons of time to indulge in all kinds of classes.  My flourishing is weak but I'm working on it.

Looking forward to someday participating in your envelope exchange.  How can I get involved?

And what the heck is the answer to Eleanor Winters' book?  I thought it was mastering copperplate calligraphy, but that doesn't seem to be the answer.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 08:43:18 PM »

Looking forward to someday participating in your envelope exchange.  How can I get involved?

And what the heck is the answer to Eleanor Winters' book?  I thought it was mastering copperplate calligraphy, but that doesn't seem to be the answer.
@ireneblumenthal
I'm sure @Erica McPhee  will be able to answer these questions. I look forward to your participation in the letter exchanges--they are big fun.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 12:45:01 PM »
Quite the extensive experience - so many great hands! Have you ever done Kate McKulla’s Swingline? It came out around the same time as Weaver Writing and is similar to Suzanne’s modern style.

The answer is Copperplate. Did that not work?

I will send you a DM if you’d like to join the perpetual exchange. We have had one member drop out for the remainder of the year so there is a spot open.  :) We would love to have you join us!

Love the ruling pen - have to let that energy fly!  ;D

I do a lot of copperplate  but I have also learned pointed pen uncial, weaver's script, storybook script (ala Kathy Milici), Spencerian, and most recently Madarasz (with Schin Loong).  Also use brush pens on occasion.  I don't love modern calligraphy, but my brides kept asking for it, so I've done that too.  I rather like Suzanne Cunningham's modern and that's favorite modern style.  I started out with broad point and abandoned it the minute I saw pointed pen.  My current new thing is ruling pen -- but I am so copperplate rigid I doubt I'll ever get the hang of that free form style.  I'm retired and have tons of time to indulge in all kinds of classes.  My flourishing is weak but I'm working on it.

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram