Author Topic: Creative Lettering and Beyond  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Creative Lettering and Beyond
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:42 AM »
(Click on book to view on Amazon.)

Just received this new book today: Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring Tips, Techniques, & Ideas for Hand Lettering Your way to Beautiful Works of Art. Authors: Gabri Joy Kirkendall, Laura Lavender, Julie Manwaring, & Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn.

This is a really fun book filled with delightful examples of hand lettering. It begins with a modern calligraphy tutorial by Laura Lavender which has some great pictures and tips. It starts with a very informal copperplate script and then a whimsical "upright" script. This is followed by a small section on flourishing with some flourished capitals which I would say are not ideal examples but a good effort.

This is followed by a fantastic section on "Illustrated Lettering" by Gabri Joy Kirkendall. This has some great exemplars and helpful information on how to get started with hand lettering. It then goes on to how to letter in a shape. There is a project showing how to letter on a canvas (meh) followed by hand lettering on glass (marvelous!).

Many of you will love the next section which walks you through how to convert hand lettering to a digital format, starting with photographing your work and then removing the background in Photoshop. Then there are several good projects.

The Chalk Lettering section by Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn is my favorite. There are some GREAT exemplars in there and some really nice filler ideas. Julie Manwaring wraps it up with several cute "Lettering Crafts" projects.

This is definitely a book for beginners. It has some really exciting, well done examples but also some so-so work. One of my pet peeves is blank pages where you are supposed to try your own or practice or whatever. I never write in my books and trying to write in a bound book is ridiculous so I find these a complete waste but thankfully, there aren't too many. Overall, I'm really glad I bought this one and I'm sure I will refer to it many, many times.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:21:35 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline mary ellen

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Mary Ellen
Re: Creative Lettering and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »
great review Erica, do you ever sleep😳!  Did the
Chalk lettering chapter talk about chalk markers?

Offline Tara H

• Freshman Member
  • graphic + web designer, aspiring calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
Thanks for the review, Erica! I was on the fence about buying this one based on the amazon.com preview, but I think I'll give it a try.

And for any one who doesn't like to write in their books, stay away from the Mary Kate McDevitt book, Hand Lettering Ledger. A significant portion—maybe 2/3 to as much as 3/4 of the book—is made up of blank pages.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
great review Erica, do you ever sleep😳!  Did the
Chalk lettering chapter talk about chalk markers?

LOL! Rarely!  ;)

No, it doesn't talk about chalk markers. But it does have a cool section on creating digital chalk art. Her examples are really good.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
ordered and waiting for it... ::)

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »
Thanks for the review! Yet another book I want now ;)

The Chalk Lettering section by Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn is my favorite. There are some GREAT exemplars in there and some really nice filler ideas. Julie Manwaring wraps it up with several cute "Lettering Crafts" projects.
Excuse me, what are filler ideas?
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »
Fillers are little decorations, florals, leaves, etc. that you can put around the lettering to decorate it.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
I am still waiting for IT... It seems difficult TO Get it...

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 06:54:35 AM »
I ordered this book after Erica's review - actually, I put it on my 'notify when back in stock' list, and by the time it was back in stock I had forgotten everything about it, so I just went "Okay, I'll trust past Moya, she sometimes knows what's up" and hit 'purchase'.

I agree with everything Erica says :)

The calligraphy section I will probably never look at again, unless I am teaching someone - it is very very beginner-level, but probably a good resource if you are beginner.  But the other three sections - also aimed at beginners - seem to have a lot I can use, from layout design techniques (I have never blocked out sections; I guess I should have been all along!) to border ideas and filler exemplars.  I've filled it with bookmark flags (pick the law student ...) and I bet I'll refer to it heaps.  Thank you for posting about it Ms E!

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
I am still waiting for the notification that this Book is available...

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
Finally I got it and am in love with it!

Offline ratna_89

• Freshman Member
  • Halo! from Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »
Hi Erica,

I have bought this book beginning of last year and I think its pretty awesome book for beginner, it doesn't ramble too much on tools/supplies or where to get them, and actually get pretty many examples.. love the modern calligraphy style and yes the Gabri Kirkendall part is awesome, overall its great book to learn from..

Nana
@lettersandmiles

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »
I just went "Okay, I'll trust past Moya, she sometimes knows what's up" and hit 'purchase'.

Hahahaha!!
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
If the quality of the lettering on the cover is indicative of the content, I'll be giving it a miss.  :o

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
Yes, Ken, I can say with some degree of certainty, this book would not be of interest to you. The calligraphy is not its strong point, but for those interested in lettering (drawing letters) and especially, chalk work, this is a fun text.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram