Author Topic: Nib Exchange??  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Copaceticmuzak

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Nib Exchange??
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »
Fellow Flourishers-

As a calligraphy newbie, I keep reading about TONS of nibs I should try, and believe me, I do want to try them all. Since a lot of nibs aren't readily available at the craft store, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a nib exchange? I'm still thinking on the logistics of it, but it would be a great way to share nibs and try ones that we aren't familiar with without spending money on a nib we might not use again. I do know nibs aren't terribly expensive, but ordering one online and paying for shipping on a nib or two seems silly.

Let me know if you're interested or if you have a suggestion on how we can get it done!

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Nib Exchange??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
This is a great idea! How would it work though?
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Meghan

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »
As a fellow newbie, I LOVE this idea!

Maybe those who want to exchange can enter the nibs they're willing to trade and which nibs they want and one person could figure out who gets what based on their needs?

Or... we could send in all our nibs for trade and one person could make a "kit" with all the nibs and we could send it from person to person? Each person could keep the entire package for... 2 weeks? 4? And then send it along to the next person. We'd just have a waiting list and people could add to the kit as we go along. Might be easier to send one big kit than paying to ship one or two nibs, since that's the original issue with buying them individually online, right?

Sorry, that was long winded...

Offline Mollyebelle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
Love this :) :) :) I apologize in advance for the random-ness of my response!

In my other addictive hobby - nail polish - I've come across a Nail Polish Exchange.  I believe the way they run it is:  Someone puts together a box - it can be a small priority mail box so everyone pays the same price to ship the package and it arrives fast with tracking!  OR since nibs are tiny, we could do it in a smaller padded envelope...it'd be fun to include a pretty inked sentiment for the next recipient too!  When each participant receives the box, they take out what they'd like and put in what they want to share (I believe make a note of it on a list in the box) and then mail it off to the next person on the list. 

I think it would have to be nibs people no longer feel the need to keep in their collection or maybe one or two they have many of?  Because it'd be quite hard to get the nibs back to everyone who contributed...UNLESS the person that starts it off is the last to receive it, and when they do, they can decide if they want to reach out to send back the ones they don't want to keep?

Ugh another thought.... maybe if someone puts a nib in the box, and you just LOVE it and think others would to, make a note of which nib it is and then pass it along to the next recipient to spread the love? 

Oh!  We could actually keep a Google doc of addresses and when someone goes to send out their box, they can note what they added and took?  Technology these days, I tell ya ;)

The only thing I'm not sure of is how we incorporate international members? 

Being a newbie as well, I'd love to hear people's suggestions on WHICH nibs should be shared! 

Offline Copaceticmuzak

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:20:31 AM »
Option A: To give this some more direction, I'll need some help compiling some nibs, as I do have some I'm willing to share, but I think we'd need more to get a good variety. I will compile a box of nibs, a list of names, addresses, and nibs people really wanted to try. Once I get the nibs, I will sort them into a "to try" pile and a "to trade" pile. The ones "to try" will be the ones that have to stay in the box because we would want to give everyone a chance to try what they really want. Any extras or duplicates will go into the "to trade" pile. We can take what we want from that pile, but we must replace it with another nib. I will also include the addresses and we can just pass it along in order, so just cross your name off of it when you receive the box. I can send remaining nibs back to everyone when done.  It would also be nice to include a card, sentiment, something written to the next recipient.

I'm trying to keep it simple but also so everyone gets a chance to try a variety.

Option B: We can compile a GoogleDoc with names and nibs we want to try. If you have that Nib, you can send it along to that person. You check their name off the document, so one person doesn't receive many and another recieve none.

I personally like option A because I get to try many nibs, maybe even some I didn't think to try, but I will do whatever is best for everyone.

The more, the merrier!!!

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »
I think this sounds like a great idea.  I think to really get the feel of a certain nib, you probably should try a brand new one and break it in yourself.  Everyone uses different amounts of pressure, etc. on the nibs, and I think that could have the effect of negatively or positively inflating your opinion of a nib, if someone else has used it before.

You could definitely assemble a "wish list" of nibs that each calligrapher wants to try, so then you would know who is looking for what.  And someone who has extra new ones of that nib could send one or two into the mix, to be distributed by the organizer?

Then you could also have a nib graveyard distribution, where used nibs find new homes, with the recipient knowing that it might not represent the same experience as breaking that nib in for themselves.
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:28:16 AM »
This sounds great. Would love to be included but might be a bit tough for internationals.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 03:31:35 AM »
This sounds great. Would love to be included but might be a bit tough for internationals.
I think that, because of that, Copaceticmuzak's Option B would be better. Option A would take weeks and weeks and weeks, if internationals are included.

OR, upgrade suggestion on B:
We make a spreadsheet, everyone enters the nibs they want to share and people who want one enter their name and what they would offer for it next to it. The offerer then chooses which one(s) he wants, messages that person and off to the post offices they are.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
As for myself, I have accumulated many nibs and most of them are not well known, but still very good nibs. I don't see them being in anyones list because they're vintage and not well known, but are very good nibs to try and hunt down if anyone likes them. So I'm not sure how this would work with the list of nibs that was suggested?
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Mollyebelle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
Okay I've spent some time thinking about this today :)  A great way to avoid real work! 

Option A - This works for the US participants.  Everyone can send in some nibs with a list of what they're sending, then Ashley (copaceticmuzak) can compile the box (making a note of what she received from who) and ship off to the first recipient.  It can go around the participants and then end at Ashley who can contact those that have nibs left from the contribution to see if they would like them back for their collection.  The box can include a copy of the spreadsheet which will have the addresses so that we can ensure everyone gets time with the box.  We can also include a list that, as people take nibs, they note what they have added to the "To Take" pile. 

This option allows us to try many different nibs, new and vintage, and although some may have been written with, people will most likely submit newer nibs.  The nibs that are contributed that have been tested by the user and are basically a "donation" to the nib exchange, are likely not overly used or broken in because if they're not a fan of the nib, they probably didn't write too long with it :) 

I do like the idea of a spreadsheet noting what people would LIKE to try in addition to the vintage and randoms.  Participants can look at this, see that Ashley wants to try a Brause Pumpkin and send one or two out of their collection to be a part of the "To Try" pile.  The vintage and randoms that are "donations" can be part of the "To Take" pile. 
When sending in their contributions, participants would need to note which nibs are "to try" and which are "to take". 

Option B - This works for any international that would like to participate.  The same spreadsheet can be used with the same information documented.  Ashley (and I if she needs help) can organize separate mailings of specific nibs the international participants want to try, including the "origin" information of each nib.  The mailings can include randoms and vintage from the "to take" pile as well.  When the international participant receives their mailing, and has tested out their nibs they wanted to try, they can contact the person that provided that nib, ask if they want it returned and take care of the mailing. 

This might satisfy everyone!

Offline Meghan

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:56:30 AM »
As for myself, I have accumulated many nibs and most of them are not well known, but still very good nibs. I don't see them being in anyones list because they're vintage and not well known, but are very good nibs to try and hunt down if anyone likes them. So I'm not sure how this would work with the list of nibs that was suggested?

Schin, I would love to try out vintage nibs that aren't necessarily well known. I've started going to antique stores and stalking eBay to find vintage nibs but I have no idea which ones are worth the money.

Lots of options being thrown out there and I honestly like all of them for one reason or another. I'm in the US though, I can see how international mail would be harder. I do think a direct exchange (person A wants the nib, person B has the nib and is willing to share... off it goes) is probably the best idea. Just two cents from a newbie!

I love to organize and am willing to help if needed.

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:21:42 AM »
This sounds like so much fun!
Roseann

The world is so full of a number of things, Im sure we should all be as happy as kings.   R. L. Stevenson

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
I also think direct exchanges person to person seem to make the most sense. Perhaps since many of us like to try different nibs even ones we've never heard of, it might make more sense to put in the spreadsheet or whatever the nibs you DON'T want. Then you could receive some kind of surprise nib in the mail and it will surely be one you haven't tried.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Also joi suggested that you can cut a piece of cardboard and insert your nib(s) between the slots and just mail in a regular envelope with regular postage. I have successfully sent and received nibs using this method.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
Also joi suggested that you can cut a piece of cardboard and insert your nib(s) between the slots and just mail in a regular envelope with regular postage. I have successfully sent and received nibs using this method.

I have sent nibs this way to other US states, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Singapore, Canada, the Philippines... all have reached their destinations safely. Maximum of 2 at a time and taped inside a folded card for additional safety.