Author Topic: How to make a DIY Lightbox?  (Read 8122 times)

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
How to make a DIY Lightbox?
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:42:10 AM »
Hi! I'm from the Philippines where calligraphy is just getting reborn, and as such, there are no lightboxes available in the local market. If I get it from Amazon, it's gonna be very expensive (customs and special handling). Anybody ever done their own lightbox? Mind if you share your tips, considerations or a how-to? :) LED? Thank you!
Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
Re: How to make a DIY Lightbox?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
I recently found this tutorial: http://fstoppers.com/how-to-perfectly-light-food-using-a-10-light-and-a-t-shirt

It's not quite a box, but the outcome looks really nice!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
I think you mean to letter on?

If so, I made one many, many years ago before I could afford one. I found a basic wooden suitcase like thing at an art supply store. It had slots to put artboards. I bought a piece of frosted glass at the hardware store and then had them sand the edges. Then I put a small strip fluorescent light inside.

Now-a-days there are so many resources available, you could make one pretty easily from a picture frame and some LED lights.

One super easy idea -- use a clear or white semi-transparent plastic bin with a clear or white, flat top. Put two of those circular push button lights inside (night lights). Or you could use Christmas lights or an LED strip. And you are good to go!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:30:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes, meant the ones we could use for tracing, or put the guidelines under so we don't need to line every envelope :)

Hey, that's good, maybe I should check out Christmas lights now. I'm sure they're on sale already :) Thank you!
Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
Bahaha, duuuurrr. My brain must be stuck on photography terms ;) Oops.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Haha Sherry! If it makes you feel better, I liked the light box you shared, too!  :D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
I made my own lightbox.....

The way I did it was made a wood frame out of 1x2's and then put 1/8" hardboard on the back. I attached 3/8" clear acrylic to the top. For the acrylic take 80 grit sandpaper and sand it until it is frosted looking on one side, place the smooth side up when mounting to the frame.

For the inside I lined it all with aluminum foil and used spray adhesive to adhere it to the box frame to reflect the light. I then installed white LED strings lights throughout the inside of the box. The kind that look like a long flexible tube. I drilled a hole and ran the electrical connector out the side of the box.

It works great and its a 3ft x 2ft writing surface.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
Over the many years that I "wrote" I had occasion to make (and sell) several light boxes. Generally they were made of pressed fibre board 18-1/2"x 16"x3" plus the bottom. The hardware store will cut the pieces for you. Cemented the sides to the bottom, and reinforced the corners with metal corner brackets. I wanted to have a functional and as lightweight box as possible for transportation to meetings, workshops and classes that I taught. After assembly I had cut a 1/4" piece of glass (you can cut on glass more easily than plastic without leaving scars, but glass is heavier - give up something to get something else), and mounted it with up/down brass fitting which allowed me to get inside the box. Then mounted the 3 flourescent bulbs and hardware, plus 3 on/off switches which allowed me to have 1,2 or 3 lights on at a time depending on the thickness of paper. NOTE: it's better to have more light than you need than wish you had more. Underneath the glass I taped a sheet of tracing paper to help reduce glare, and mounded a stand which allowed the glass to remain steady at any angle. VOILE-a portable lightbox/tool caddy with all the tools needed for the workshop or meeting or class. If I have left out any procedure or any part you don't understand let me know and I'll try to correct it for you.

Offline IowaPharm2014

• Freshman Member
  • Iowa Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »
Bill Grant has some instructions for a light table on his website. Here's a link to blog post about it. If you look in the right hand side of that page there is a link to a photo album with further pictures/details of the process.