Author Topic: Hello, I am Matt from Southeastern PA!  (Read 513 times)

Offline Matt

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello, I am Matt from Southeastern PA!
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
Hello,

My name is Matt. I am from Southeastern Pennsylvania and I have enjoyed penmanship and lettering off and on for many years. I enjoy fountain pens, writing, sketching and calligraphy. Here to learn and improve so I can make some personal handmade gifts for relatives and get enjoyment from improving my skills.

I do have a question about layout. I would love to get specific instructions on basic calligraphic layout ideas as well as specifically how to measure out and execute various kinds of projects. Any books, links, online tutorials or others you all have found would be welcome.

Thank you!

Best,
Matt
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:20:18 PM by Matt »

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: Hello, I am Matt from Southeastern PA!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
Hello and welcome, Matt!
Have an explore through the forum as I think there are plenty of threads that you will find helpful  :)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi Matt!  Welcome to Flourish!

There's definitely no shortage of learning around here. I believe there was talk a little while ago of a dedicated layout & design section, but I'm not sure what came of it.  I hope we do establish one - it's definitely my weak point.

Do you have an instagram? I've learned an awful lot through watching others work!

Offline Matt

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
Hello Scarlet Blue and Moya,

Thank you for your messages.

Scarlet Blue - Thank you for your suggestion. I have been looking through all the good information Erica and others have been putting up on the Flourish Forum. A wealth of advice and instruction! I'm sure I will find some guidance on layouts.

Moya - I follow others on Instagram and I am finding some great calligraphers to follow. Thank you for the idea!

Seems like layout ideas need to get "worked out" with a pencil and eraser in hand. Thank you again for your welcoming messages and direction.

Best,
Matt

Offline waterconfidence

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 12:18:57 PM »
Matt,
Are you a member of the Philadelphia Calligraphers' Society?
If not, check out their facebook page and join!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »
Hi @Matt ,
I love that you are making homemade gifts! What a treasure for your gift recipients. There are a few resources for layout. This is one of the hardest parts of progressing your calligraphy work! I am going to put it on my list of things to concentrate on in 2020 and maybe even post a tutorial.

Here are a few links to get you started:

Design Tips for Calligraphers - Book Resources

The layout and design books by Alan Furber linked in that post are still the best resources available I think.

Certificate Design

This is the Design and Layout Board

Hope that helps!  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline jrvalverde

• Freshman Member
  • Crazy old person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
Welcome!

Layout takes you into the grey area where Calligraphy melts with other Arts. You may also find instructive and entertaining learning about how it is approached from other Arts; look for documents on "composition" which is how it is referred to by graphical artists (painters, photographers...).

This is specially more interesting as you progress from writing into mixing letters and graphics, something all of us fall for sooner or later.