Author Topic: Appropriate flourish  (Read 87 times)

Offline Mike Schoeningh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Appropriate flourish
« on: December 07, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »
An older man I know well recently had someone close to him die and I would like to send him a note. Would ornamental type penmanship be off putting? Maybe minimal flourishing with a little taller letters so a person in there 90s can read easily? Please let me know what's appropriate. Thanks Mike

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
Re: Appropriate flourish
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »
My opinion is to do what you said, clearn, minimal flourishing.  I'm sure receiving something beautiful that you put time into will be touching to him at this time.  It will show how heartfelt it is.

I had the same concern once, wanted to do calligraphy on family thank you's after a funeral, but didn't know if it was appropriate.  I went with an Italic so it wasn't too over the top fancy. A little more fancy would be nice for your personal note.
Lynda

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
I thought about suggesting looking at condolences cards, but I can't ever recall seeing one that I liked. I think you can go with calligraphy, just as long as it looks sombre enough and not that you are showing off. What is your idea for the format?

Offline Mike Schoeningh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
RD5, On a folded card, using Spencerian script- Dear and the mans name, maybe with slightly oversized majiscules. On the inside-
                                   We are so sorry for your loss
                                      Our hearts and prayers
                                            are with you
                                           Love, (names)
Any ideas / advice is welcome, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:51:12 AM by Mike Schoeningh »

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
I think Spencerian script would be very appropriate.... much more so than say modern calligraphy. I also donít think there would be anything wrong with some tasteful flourishing.  A homemade card may become treasured item for this person.
Teresa

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
I think Spencerian script would be very appropriate
@Mike Schoeningh
I agree with this suggestion. Depending on just how old this person is, he might have been taught Spencerian, or, if not quite that old, may have seen things written by his parents in that hand. It's a nice way to show you care and took the time to make your card presentable, personal, without too much formality that, say, copperplate/roundhand much show.
I've used Spencerian on cards and letters of condolence for quite a while (increasingly too frequent at my age), and they are special and appreciated.

Offline Mike Schoeningh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:07:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. He is in his ninetys and may be familiar with it as he was well educated. I was nervous about making it to much about me, but as you have said, it's the thought and the effort in a hand made card that will be appreciated.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 09:23:29 AM »
I really like everyone's responses. And this is a very thoughtful gesture Mike. It shows you took the time and thought into sending your condolences.
I have done a few different covers for funeral programs and Spencerian is a very good choice. I added a very small flourish and even a few floral flourishes/watercolor that made it soft. Minimal but beautiful enough it felt like an extra effort was made.
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook