Author Topic: Ergonomic Everything & Muscle Strengthening!  (Read 13180 times)

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
Ergonomic Everything & Muscle Strengthening!
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Hi all, I am curious to hear more thoughts about your experience with ergonomic workstations and exercises for strengthening wrist & shoulder muscles to decrease muscle strain/fatigue. There are some great threads on here that have been helpful so far, but I still can't seem to get comfortable for the long haul. Just completed two large envelope/place card jobs and feel next-day pain in spite of taking breaks, stretching, sitting up higher so my arm is closer to a 90 degree angle, etc - I think some of it stems from reverting to less ergonomic positions when trying to pen faster, and also from having weak muscles to start! Would love to know what sort of workouts/training might strengthen my shoulder/rotator cuff zone to help prevent future hurt! Thanks so much  :)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Ergonomic Everything & Muscle Strengthening!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »
I think it was 2001, when Mike Sull was president of IAMPETH that he invited a fitness expert to give a presentation at IAMPETH with a focus on what kinds of issues scribes face. He encouraged people to work on their entire body, including their diet, if they wanted to avoid the problems associated with sitting and writing. It would be interesting if IAMPETH included some fitness suggestions on their site.

Just working on a couple zones is probably not enough to resolve next-day pain. If you think you are reverting to positions that are causing the problem, you are probably right. So....figure out ways to monitor yourself and maintain the correct posture and relaxed grip. Those death grips are the source of serious problems.

For me, yoga has the been the best remedy for everything. But, I worked with someone who analyzed what I was doing and what I needed. I don't think she would want me to pass along her lessons on a public forum. But, if you have yoga available in your area, you might consider it.

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
That's incredibly helpful, Jean! Thank you for sharing - I was practicing yoga for awhile, and then let it slip away when life got busy and more expensive. Might need to get back to the mat!

Offline Achaneystudio

• View Profile
    • www.achaneystudio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »
I don't have any solid answers here, but I will say I feel your pain - I grip my pen too tightly and the tip of my writing thumb has been numb since May thanks to wedding season  ::)

I have found that strategically timed stretch breaks significantly increase my stamina... When working on envelopes, I do no more than 10 before I force myself to stand up and stretch for a minute (old lady stretching, like touching toes and ceiling haha.. occasionalyl when I am feeling REAL good, I mix in a sun salutation but those are only on really good, healthy days  :P), just to get the blood flowing again. It's made me feel better and work faster, which is a win-win!

I suppose this doesn't make me stronger, but I definitely feel better!!!

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »
Thank you, Amy! I do the floor to ceiling stretch, too!! I think it helps, but doesn't prevent the pain of bad posture. Though, am I wrong in thinking it's near impossible to sit up straight with your shoulders back and still copperplate? Dontcha have to lean in?! Maybe a tilted table is worth a try...

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
Hi Alaina,

I agree with Jean and highly recommend yoga. I keep an egg timer on my desk and set it to go off every 30 minutes. I'll make sure to do a vinyasa or two that includes upward dog. That really stretches out my neck, shoulder and back muscles. I also like doing these hand/finger exercises. http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/oa-treatment-options-12/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises?ecd=wnl_lbt_040115&ctr=wnl-lbt-040115_nsl-ld-stry_1&mb=u42a0QB5%2f1sBJc66UpNscOHnVev1imbCYl44G%2fe7abg%3d

During the spring, I had really bad knots in my left shoulder/neck area. When I told the massage therapist what I do, she recommended doing strength training of the shoulders, chest, upper back muscles and core. I remember her specifically saying to do chest presses to really open up that area, which can really get scrunched up.

And I work on a tilted surface. I swear this makes a BIG difference. If you don't want to commit to a drafting table, you can get a portable desk from an art store and prop it on some sturdy books to get the angle that works for you. This is my workaround, as my desk also has my computer on it.

It's really easy to fall back into bad habits--I constantly have to remind myself not to cross my legs when I work--but as long as you're cognizant of it all, that's a good start.

Hope that helps! :)
Janice

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
I think you need to do core strengthening exercises in order to correct poor posture, because you have to develop the muscles that help you hold yourself upright and those muscles are in your abdomen and lower back.  I'm not a fitness expert, that is just what I have heard.  I'm sure there are specific yoga postures that help your core, or there's always stomach crunches and planking!  It takes awhile to really develop those muscles, though, so you might want something to help in the meantime.  I know people who do a lot of heavy lifting wear a type of brace that supports their lower back.  It's not the most glamorous looking thing, but it would probably help.  Something slightly less conspicuous (because you wear it under your clothing) is a "waist-nipper" that has flexible boning in it (a full-on corset would probably be even better, but a good one would be expensive and not many people would want to wear such a thing)--one made of strong stretchy fabric and has hooks and eyes.  You wouldn't want it to be really tight since you aren't actually using it to make your waist smaller (unless you want to, in which case go for it), but the flexible boning in it would help you stay upright (because being bent over would be more uncomfortable!).

If your wrist hurts you at all, you might want to look into getting a wrist brace from the drugstore.  You don't want to get carpal tunnel!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »
Hi Alaina,

I agree with Jean and highly recommend yoga. I keep an egg timer on my desk and set it to go off every 30 minutes. I'll make sure to do a vinyasa or two that includes upward dog. That really stretches out my neck, shoulder and back muscles. I also like doing these hand/finger exercises. http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/oa-treatment-options-12/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises?ecd=wnl_lbt_040115&ctr=wnl-lbt-040115_nsl-ld-stry_1&mb=u42a0QB5%2f1sBJc66UpNscOHnVev1imbCYl44G%2fe7abg%3d

During the spring, I had really bad knots in my left shoulder/neck area. When I told the massage therapist what I do, she recommended doing strength training of the shoulders, chest, upper back muscles and core. I remember her specifically saying to do chest presses to really open up that area, which can really get scrunched up.

And I work on a tilted surface. I swear this makes a BIG difference. If you don't want to commit to a drafting table, you can get a portable desk from an art store and prop it on some sturdy books to get the angle that works for you. This is my workaround, as my desk also has my computer on it.

It's really easy to fall back into bad habits--I constantly have to remind myself not to cross my legs when I work--but as long as you're cognizant of it all, that's a good start.

Hope that helps! :)
Janice

Do you work on a tilted surface while doing pointed pen work? wow - would you be able to show a picture? I'm very curious.

If my neck and shoulders are bothering me I do get up and alternate between downward dog, upward dog, and child's pose - seems to help my neck, shoulders, as well as my lower back.  That timer idea is a good one - if I'm really concentrating on something I could be at my desk for several hours without stretching or taking a break, which I then immediately regret once I stop and the next day I'm sore, but I don't notice at the time. Will definitely try that!

I should really do some strength training as well.

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »
Thank you all so so much! I think I am realizing that this is truly all about the core - I need to stop saying I'm too busy to focus on strengthening and get to it! Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I too would love to see how a tilted set up looks for pointed pen!

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 08:49:53 AM »
Elaina and Alaina, :)

Here are pictures of my set up when I do any practice or jobs.

1) My stack of books (glad my art history books are put to some use).
2) The portable Utrecht tilted desk. It actually tilts on its own, but I found the height (3" off the table surface) to be too short. This is about 5-6" off my table surface.
3) I'll put my light table on top of the portable desk. There's rubber feet on the light table, so it should stay, but I place the moveable ruler on the tilted desk at the bottom to ensure it won't. This is about 7" off my table surface. I can take away some books if it's too high.

I did a couple of envelope jobs with the light table like this and my neck and shoulders weren't as kinked because I wasn't looking downward as much. Also I can keep a relatively stable posture on my stool because the working surface is meeting me halfway.

I'm pretty paranoid about long term health issues related to our craft, so I make sure that my set up is as ergonomic as I can make it. I will at some point invest in a good drafting table because it's worth the money to me to prevent chronic pain.

Hope that helps. Thanks for asking!

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »
This is so helpful to see - thank you so much Janice!! I will definitely be trying a tilted surface!

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
I wanted to add something here that I've been trying out. I tend to get a lot of lower back pain between working at a desk all day and then calligraphy (and probably my not-so-great posture). My calligraphy setup is about as ergonomic as I can get it at this point - I have a bunch of folded blankets on my chair to prop my short-self up at the right height and that has helped immensely.

When I was walking through a store last week I came across this. It's a type of seat cushion designed to help you sit in a better position. It was a bit pricey for something I just wanted to try, but I figured at worst I could try it out for a few days, keeping the wrapping on, and then return it if I didn't like it. So, for the past week I've been sitting on it every day during calligraphy practice. I felt silly using it at first, but I can definitely feel a difference. It helps me not slouch, and it positions my back in a way that is relieving my lower back pain.

It takes a little while for your body to adjust to a shifted seating position, but if anyone is having similar difficulties I would recommend giving it a shot. I don't have one at my day job chair and I can very much feel the difference and I think I might get a second one so I have one at work too.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Yoga yes, but I am not a fitness expert.

Posture is important. I just watched a room full of penman at IAMPETH and people really need to pay attention to their bodies. I think some people were about two inches from their paper.  I am so worried about getting a hunchback, so I try to sit properly. I hurt my neck (pinched nerve is a horrible pain) in the winter, so I really pay attention now. I still look down crooked, so I am trying to correct that too.

My massage therapist says that when you sit and hunch forward all day with your pen/computer mouse, you need to reverse the posture. So I lay on my foam roller for 15 mins to undo my leaning forward. Or try to do a back bend class at yoga.

I changed my oblique holder this week and that really helped with my hand cramping. Sometimes the cute holders are cute but aren't the best to do wedding envelopes with. It's like those cut high heels. They look cute, but your feet hurt after ten steps.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
One of my college roommates said that her ballet instructor made them put a yardstick in the back of their leotard to correct their posture in class.  Perhaps calligraphers should do something similar to make themselves sit up straight?  ;)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
Keep the great advice coming! Love all of this - especially the idea of reversing the slouch by resting over a foam roller, and that seat cushion looks amazing! I definitely need to try these out. I wish I had been a little more proactive to prevent pain, at this point, something I did in terms of posture and positioning injured my rotator cuff and now I feel that rest is the only solution. I've been sadly passing up a lot of large volume orders simply to avoid aggravating the pain and focusing on stretches. Hopefully with some conscious repositioning, I will be able to avoid these issues in the future :) thank you all!