Author Topic: Stamp making  (Read 780 times)

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
Stamp making
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:25:34 AM »
Hello dear friends !

I've got clients who asked me to make them an address stamp (yay !) but, they have very long names (1 first name and 2 last names each) and want both names to appear on the stamp... + 3 lines for the address : that is going to be one big stamp !

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the minimum size of the calligraphy imprinted on the stamp...
The style they chose is a shaded spencerian : At 1/8 inch x-height, I already have a total size of 3,5 x 6 inches. I don't really know up to which approx x-height I can reduce the writing so that it still looks nice when the stamp is applied ?

The stamp maker told me they don't recommend going under 7pt for a font... Maybe some of you have made some experiments that can be helpful ?

Thanks a lot !

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Stamp making
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:16:38 AM »
Hi Sybille, I'd ask the stamp maker what is the minimum width of the lines he can produce this is imho more important than the overall size of the letters. Spencerian tends to be very fine and that can become a problem with this kind of small reproduction (as in letterpress sometimes).

You can make lines thicker in Photshop, but loose details.

If the stamp is already that big, I'd suggest to them writing only the names in Spence and the rest in small caps, or small print, or something similar that doesnt take that much space and still remains legible. It can also look very nice wrapped with a flourish or something.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
Re: Stamp making
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:51:37 AM »
Thanks Stefanie ! That's exactly what I suggested.
I hope they go with it, or else they're going to have gigantic stamp...