Author Topic: Yesterday's Copperplate workshop with joi and masgrimes in Portland, OR  (Read 1779 times)

Offline dancingfish

• View Profile
    • dancingfish
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours with joi (Joi Hunt) and masgrimes (David Grimes) at Oblation Papers in Portland, OR, in a Copperplate fundamentals workshop.  It was excellent!  My experience is mostly with broad edge scripts from many years ago, and when I picked up calligraphy again early this year after a many year hiatus, I was especially interested in playing with pointed pen traditional scripts as well.  This was what led me to this forum, and I started with Erica's tutorials (which are great).  It's always wonderful to have a live instructor, so when I heard about this workshop, I pounced on it!

Joi and David both are amazingly talented artists, and their copperplate skills are impeccable to my eyes.  Their approach in teaching is to focus on skill building around the fundamental shapes in lettermaking.  This was exactly what I was looking for, to help me ensure I am creating letters properly, and also to analyze why and where the issues are when they aren't created properly.  It was very illuminating.  Both David and Joi spent individual time with everyone, providing examples and feedback and giving tips and instructional guidance.  They were gracious and funny, and it was just so much fun.  They provided the supplies to be sure everyone was starting out with the right materials, and we got some extra goodies like PearlEx (rose gold!) and a great votive/ink holder.  Oblation Papers even gave everyone a small paper sampler.  I really hope Joi and David do more of these kinds of workshops.

A sidenote and question:  Even though this workshop was happening in my area, I really had no idea it was happening until I came across a thread here on the Flourish forum that was unrelated (about traveling to Oregon and Washington and what places of interest were here), and someone mentioned Joi's workshop.  I went to track it down and luckily it hadn't happened yet and I was able to sign up.  I encouraged Joi to post any of her upcoming workshop opportunities on the forum, but I think there is some hesitance in general for people to do this, lest it be seen as making commercial postings, advertising, etc.  So I wanted to ask - in the Workshops and Conferences category, is this the appropriate and acceptable place for instructors to announce their own classes and workshops?  If so, I would like to encourage all to do so, and share these learning opportunities!  I'm really grateful I was able to get in on this one  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:00:19 PM by dancingfish »

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Yesterday's Copperplate workshop with joi and masgrimes in Portland, OR
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
They are a power team and I am so happy they are teaching! When and where for the next one guys? ;D
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
LINDA!!!
found you!  oh my thank you so much for those kind words, i am sooooo happy that you enjoyed it!  the knowledge and understanding that you left with is exactly what we were hoping for! 

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »
schin!  power team?! i dig it! lol!
we are putting together our 2016 tour dates!

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Pursuing Mastery.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
Their approach in teaching is to focus on skill building around the fundamental shapes in lettermaking.  This was exactly what I was looking for, to help me ensure I am creating letters properly, and also to analyze why and where the issues are when they aren't created properly.  It was very illuminating.  Both David and Joi spent individual time with everyone, providing examples and feedback and giving tips and instructional guidance.  They were gracious and funny, and it was just so much fun.

Thank you so much. Wow! We couldn't be happier with how things went and we are so very excited about announcing our upcoming dates across the US. Thanks again and keep working hard on your forms!
David Grimes
Penman | Calligrapher
On Instagram | David Grimes | Learn Engrosser's Script Online

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
Sounds terrific! I wish I could have gone!  ;D

Instructors who are members and other members recommending a class are welcome to post a single post in the Workshops & Conference News Forum about any upcoming workshop or positive reviews of classes attended.

Non-members, those just joining to promote themselves or someone else, and multiple posts or frequent self-promotion will be flagged and removed in fairness to our members and other instructors.

At some point early next year, I will be spending more time on updating Flourish and adding limited, curated advertisements which can be used for custom tools, workshops, supplies, books, etc., in addition to the single posts if further promotion is desired.  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »

A sidenote and question:  Even though this workshop was happening in my area, I really had no idea it was happening until I came across a thread here on the Flourish forum that was unrelated (about traveling to Oregon and Washington and what places of interest were here), and someone mentioned Joi's workshop.  I went to track it down and luckily it hadn't happened yet and I was able to sign up. ...

I do believe that was a thread I started! Now I'm glad I posted that.  ;)
Even though I couldn't attend because my dates didn't work out, I'm glad you were able to attend!! Yay!!  ;D
I'll be on the lookout for future workshops...

Offline dancingfish

• View Profile
    • dancingfish
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
Yes!  Estrella, I'm so thankful that you started that thread!  Hope your journey around the Pacific NW turned out well too.   :)

Joi and David, I am spending time on my forms and working on mindful/quality practice.  One thing I'm trying to focus on is my posture and cultivating a light hand.  Those are among the things I found invaluable in attending your in-person workshop.  I really hadn't paid much attention to those aspects before, and now I'm aware of them, amongst many other things.

And thanks for sending the followup package in email to all of us!

Linda