Author Topic: Ergonomic Everything & Muscle Strengthening!  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Raayynuh

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
Re: Ergonomic Everything & Muscle Strengthening!
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
@handmadeletters - yea, I did pinch a nerve. A chiropractor helped a little, but the only thing that really makes a difference is if I have a regular routine of specific stretches, and pay attention to how I sleep at night with how I position myself.

I wanted to thank everyone for the foam roller suggestion, I bought on the other day and have been using it daily. It is helping my back and shoulders release a lot of tension, it's fantastic. Now I just gotta stick with it ;).

@Marcia Aronow I still use that everyday, I hope it helps you! Also thank you for that link. I'm been searching for online resources for yoga and that looks great.

I might try the drugstore readers idea @jeanwilson. I have updated glasses so my vision isn't a problem, but I like to get up close and personal with my Spence, that could save me some hunched over time.

Offline papertrails

• View Profile
    • Paper Trails Design Co.
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »
This is a great thread- so many helpful suggestions!!

I injured my wrist (thumb tendon, actually) months ago, and it's been a slooww recovery process. It would flare up every time I needed to do a big job. I iced my wrist twice a day at IAMPETH too! :(
I typically do yoga, but wasn't able to because of my inability to put weight on my wrist. Now that the pain has lessened a bit, I've tried to get back to it, using my elbows instead of wrists whenever possible (downward dogs, plank etc)

The two big things I need to work on is posture and arm movement writing- I kept putting it off before, but can't anymore!!  :o

Offline jeanwilson

• View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:10 AM »
http://www.classicalstretch.com/

i fell asleep with the TV on and when i woke up there was a lady i had never seen before doing stretching exercises. she was standing on one foot *drawing* the alphabet, in the air with her toe pointed. after she did it with the other toe, she flexed her foot/ankle - and proceeded to do the exercise again (although she shortened it for the sake of the program)
she also had some great exercises for the hands, arms, shoulders - and whole body.
so, i checked out her website and she is a dancer - dance is like doing calligraphy with your body.
she has been on PBS for 10 seasons.
i'd never seen her before - but thought it was worth mentioning here.
several of us have talked about yoga, but her movement looked very inviting because there was a lot more rhythm to it.

note/reminder to the younger people: try to find something sooner, rather than later, to keep your body in shape. sitting in chairs, writing, is not very good for your body. great for your mind....but, if you wreck your body, you will be so sad.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
Great thread, I am noting the many good suggestions.
Thanks Jean for sharing the above link.
In addition to trying to maintain proper posture, I have been looking for exercises that will help keep the body well-conditioned, including light weights, but nothing too heavy.
I recently bought a couple of small exercise rings/bean bags that you squeeze for hand/wrist/arm exercise. One is called Isoflex. Just started using them, not bad so far. 

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
Jean, thanks for the link to Classical Stretch!  I've got it set to record. 
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
Also, tennis balls are amazing for rolling out the knots in your shoulders; when you find a tight spot and release it it feels awesome!

I do the foam roller for my IT band, so maybe I'll try that for my shoulders/upper back. But, wait, WHAT do you do with the tennis balls? And HOW? Do you lay on them and roll around? :o

Janice! I just noticed I never replied to this, sorry! Haha, no you don't roll around. You stand with your back to the wall and position the tennis ball behind you to one side of your back (inside your shoulder blade), then you pull the arm on that side across your body to open up the joint and roll around until you find a pressure point (a painful spot). Once you find one you don't roll on it, you just lean back to apply medium pressure and try to relax. Sometimes it takes a while but eventually the knot will "release"; it's a weird feeling—kind of like someone is 'pinging' the muscle—but so good!! :D

I do it a lot, on both sides of my back and sometimes might have close to ten knots release. You can apparently also graduate to a golf ball once you've loosened things up enough to stand the pain! :o You can also do it on any muscle, but so far I've only done my back because that's where I had major issues.
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »
There is an old technique that I was taught a while back to help strengthen your core muscles. 
Get a LARGE sitting ball.  This is a rubber ball that you sit on, in place of a chair.  Size is important, so that the ball when you sit on it, somewhat matches your chair height.  Because it is round, you have to use your core muscles to keep steady and not roll off. 
Start with your feet WIDE apart, to give you more stability, then as you get better, bring your feet closer together.  But not too close, you still need enough support so your don't fall off.
Gary

Offline ErinBear

• Freshman Member
  • Lettering n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
Sitting on the edge of your seat helps you sit up straighter which in turn opens up your chest cavity and allows your diaphragm to work to the fullest, providing the best breath support which is critical to playing a woodwind or a brass instrument well and in order to have a nice sound when singing (as a soprano, I couldn't hit the highest of my range without proper breath support).  I played clarinet for six years and was in choir and swing choir and this was indoctrinated into me.  In choir, we would only sit when starting new music.  Once we were familiar with the music, we always stood when we practiced.

I also took a year of typing in high school and there we were also told to sit up straight (to prevent fatigue) and keep your wrists up while you type (which allows for greater finger movement and faster typing), neither of which I do now, partly because most of the time my typing surface is too high for me.

As a flute player and the wife of a band director - I concur. My band directing husband was very complimentary of your post.  ;)

I couldn't agree more with what you said. Sitting up straight is hard - but focusing on the core is smart! It really does make a tremendous difference in your stability and stamina.
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself."
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Emilyrose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Extras by Emily Website
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2019, 01:13:43 PM »
I don't have any solid answers here, but I will say I feel your pain - I grip my pen too tightly and the tip of my writing thumb has been numb since May thanks to wedding season  ::)

I have found that strategically timed stretch breaks significantly increase my stamina... When working on envelopes, I do no more than 10 before I force myself to stand up and stretch for a minute (old lady stretching, like touching toes and ceiling haha.. occasionalyl when I am feeling REAL good, I mix in a sun salutation but those are only on really good, healthy days  :P), just to get the blood flowing again. It's made me feel better and work faster, which is a win-win!

I suppose this doesn't make me stronger, but I definitely feel better!!!

Hi Amy,
I was reading though this old thread b/c I've been having some wedding season induced wrist pain and I came across your responses and checked out your instagram - Wow, on the ceiling projector!!  I love this edea.  Did you ever post a how to?  Is it just a cheap little projector, or a pricey one?  Please tell me more!