Author Topic: Oblique Holder  (Read 18778 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Oblique Holder
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »
And if you are really ambitious, in the Techniques of Copperplate Calligraphy by Gordon Turner, he shows you how to make your own!  :o
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
 ya, looks like that will be my next holder. Thanks

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 05:10:00 AM »
Oh, I'd like this Blackwell pen holder too. Just have to hold off myself a bit!!

I found here a good resource for everybody who wants to dive in the nib-try-thingy

http://www.designingletters.com/html/choosingpen.html

Also at Iampeth there is a PDF with a review of the most common nibs. It's here:

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons_getting_started.php

The article is called "A Look at Fine & Flexible Nibs". There are also some great "Before and after" pics on the same site ;D!!

http://www.iampeth.com/images/Before_and_After_Behrensmeyer.jpg

Regarding the nib reviews though I must say that at my point of experience and learning I find that what is in the reviews often has nothing to do with what I feel when I try these particular nibs (I also don't like for example the highly recommended Gillot 303, and I had some vintage and some new ones, and I tried several). So it should be taken with a grain of salt
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
I love the before & 50 years after pic!

Regarding the nib reviews though I must say that at my point of experience and learning I find that what is in the reviews often has nothing to do with what I feel when I try these particular nibs (I also don't like for example the highly recommended Gillot 303, and I had some vintage and some new ones, and I tried several). So it should be taken with a grain of salt

So well said. I really do not like the Gillot nibs AT ALL, even though some people love it and say that beginners should try it. Sure, if you want to cry! They snagged and splotched ink like nobody's business. I often say this but finding a nib you really like is like Harry Potter choosing a wand - it's different for everybody. And this will change too, when your skills improve and you have better control. When I first started, I was a strictly G-nib fan (I had a heavier hand) and hated the Brause EF66, Hunt 22, Hunt 101... which are three of my favorites now. Maybe in a few more years I will say the Gillots are my favorite! ;D

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »

I really do not like the Gillot nibs AT ALL, even though some people love it and say that beginners should try it. Sure, if you want to cry! ... I often say this but finding a nib you really like is like Harry Potter choosing a wand - it's different for everybody.

LOL! ;D This was perfect!
Truly, Erica

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:55 AM »
So well said. I really do not like the Gillot nibs AT ALL, even though some people love it and say that beginners should try it. Sure, if you want to cry! They snagged and splotched ink like nobody's business. I often say this but finding a nib you really like is like Harry Potter choosing a wand - it's different for everybody.

Haha, nearly spilled my coffee there ;D! What I also find annoying is that they really don't hold very much ink, unlike Rose or G nibs. Maybe they are better for super small, super fine, not so much shaded Spencerian than for Copperplate?
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
I have a question about oblique holders for you experts. Does it make that much of a difference which ones you use?
I have the cheapo black speedball one and I have no idea what the difference would be in handling this one and a "nice" one. Which is also why I bought the cheap one. What IS the difference? Less crampy fingers? Better grip? The possibilities for adjusting it?

PS: I have very small hands. Tips? xD
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
I was very unclear about the oblique holder until I realized that adjusting it made all the difference! I got the inexpensive blue one from Paper and Ink Arts here:

[url]http://www.paperinkarts.com/spdper---blu.html/url]

It really does make a difference.

Ellen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
I like the ones with a metal flange because it has more give. The plastic flanges are not flexible and so I feel produce a stiffer line. Also, the nibs don't all fit it well, as Ellen said, you can adjust the metal flange ones. You can also bend the flange or rotate the pen a bit until you find the "sweet spot" for your hand position.
Truly, Erica

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »
Question, i took a nib out of the holder ans the whole brass fitting come out. Oh the dissapointment. Is this normal. I was able to get it back it.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »
I have one like that. It stays in while writing. You could glue it with a metal glue or something like E6000. I didn't because it actually makes it easier to remove and place a nib!  :)
Truly, Erica

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 12:51:58 AM »
Ok thanks you. I have actually ordered my self a buddy blackwell holder. So i will leave it unglued. For future use.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
I ordered the Blackwell pen holder today with some principle nibs( i must see if like them myself). I cant wait. Being able to use most nibs without adjustment. I ordered the plastic one because I did not want to spend the extra money. Cant wait none the less!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »
I was so intrigued the by the idea, I ordered the hourglass wood adjustable one from Paper & Ink Arts. It was around $40 which is more than I am used to spending on a pen but I figure it will be great because of the adjustment feature. It is on backorder.  :-[

Let us know how you like yours when it arrives and I will do the same.   :)
Truly, Erica

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 11:51:14 PM »
You got it. Mine was 30 dollars,10 bucks cheaper. But hey money doesn't grow on trees. I ordered mine from johnnealbookseller Hope I get it soon.