Author Topic: Best place to get an oblique holder for a crow quill?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Re: Best place to get an oblique holder for a crow quill?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
Handmade doesn't have to break the bank. I could do a basic oblique crowquill holder for $44.99. A custom order from me just means you get what you want, there is no upcharge for being a custom order, it just reserves you a place in my schedule to make whatever it may be that you want. :)

If you want to try to make it yourself, just drop an email and I would help you through the process of making it. You could take a simple dowel and insert a flange without any carving and just have a very basic holder that would work well. :)

I'll keep that in mind and since I got paid today, you may hear from me soon, after all. Thanks for the info!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 01:03:13 PM »
Salam Salman.  When I first saw your pen holders, I thought that the word "carving" is used in a figurative speech.  I just assumed that you use lathe followed by milling machine or do all the work straight on the milling machine.  It did not even cross my mind that carving means real, honest to goodness, hand carving with knife and some assorted hand tools.  Just amazing and outstanding work.

Tanvir

Thank you Tanvir. The process is not hard at all. It just takes some time and patience.

Salman, I'd love to see a video on your process! I'm not likely ever to have access to a lathe or a workshop, but I am sure I could manage sandpaper and wood knives on my kitchen table at home :D

I am sure you will do a super job Moya. I will surely let you know when I put up a video on how I do it.

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 02:17:09 AM »
Thank you Tanvir. The process is not hard at all. It just takes some time and patience.

Warning to the normally talented people reading this.
The process is not hard at all if you don't mind ending up with a slightly wonky, not symmetrical, rough Holder. ;) ;)

When I first saw your pen holders, I thought that the word "carving" is used in a figurative speech.  I just assumed that you use lathe followed by milling machine or do all the work straight on the milling machine.

This is exactly what all of us think even now,  even after seeing his Periscope video.   ;D ;D

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram