Author Topic: No drills club  (Read 5242 times)

Offline ash0kgiri

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: No drills club
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
Haha. Thats some innovative drill exercise @himasf. Thanks for sharing :D

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
@AnasaziWrites Thanks, Michael! That's hilarious too.  ;D

I have a thing about turning letters into people. :) Pardon the typo!

Offline Ching Yan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
Hi, I am new here. This is irene, Spencerian Love and James referred me to this forum. I am not familiar with how this forum works. Hopefully, I am doing something appropriate here. To me James is the king of OP and I admire his work, I recently added him to my OP journey on IG and I mentioned I didnít do those ovals drills nor the push pull drills in the book. I donít find them useful, because I would get confused and I was afraid I would build up bad habit making ovals I could not see clearly.

I believe the perfect form of a letter requires the perfect execution of ovals. And that execution has science behind. I often remind myself the contact point, the gravity, the force, push and pull, the weight, last of all the sound and the hand feel. The sound of a perfect letter will trigger another effect letter execution and so on.

I love to practice because it is how I did in my past life, I practiced on the piano a lot and often required many many hours, daily, like piano practice, I practice strokes benefit me in the contruction  of a letter. Sometime, I made up strokes for the sake of that purpose. I also practice my mind to see the form in my head, to imagine the location of the oval before I execute, at least thatís what I am looking for at times. I only do mindful practice, luckily, I can focus for a very long time. Like piano practice, one good attempt is not good enough, it should be done again and again to get the consistency.

Anyways,
Thanks for this forum.
Irene

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:29:27 AM by Ching Yan »

Offline matteherr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
Since I am self taught at engrossers script, I have not had an instructor to help correct my forms. It is very common for me to practice ovals until I get a few good ones, then I'll practice letters. If the letters aren't shaped right, in my situation it is because I didn't put ovals to muscle memory. I have good fine motor skills to make shapes good sometimes but not the consistently good that comes from drills.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »
I never did drills. Then I relearned Engrosser's Script and started from the beginning with drills. Wow - what a difference. If you just start to try to draw an oval, you will not make a perfect oval. But you don't continue to make ugly ovals, you will develop the muscles to make nice ovals which in turn, help your letter forms.

My favorite drill is to see how many ovals I can make from one dip of the pen. The old masters used to be able to get 2,000 or more out of one dip! I thought, 'impossible!' But now I can almost do it!  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
Wow, 2000. I always use a pencil to warmup with ovals.

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2019, 05:24:04 AM »
I think the purpose of drills in general and not just in calligraphy, is to isolate different parts of what is being practiced. This makes a lot of sense in football, where throwing and tackling drills help one to focus on those different skills much more efficiently than just playing football.

Applied to calligraphy, one than can easily argue that it is more efficient to just practice the letterforms. However, I think for beginners the simple ovals help to learn how to use the pen and vary pressure withput worrying about letterforms.