Author Topic: Higgins Calligraphy Waterproof Black Ink  (Read 481 times)

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
Higgins Calligraphy Waterproof Black Ink
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with the Higgins Calligraphy Waterproof Black Ink? I am only able to get a rather grey (almost a pencil - 2H, 4H kind) for the hairline strokes on it, whereas the downstrokes with more ink seem to be black.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: Higgins Calligraphy Waterproof Black Ink
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 03:52:42 PM »
I have not used that ink, but what you wrote reminds me of a similar fountain pen problem.

I used the same ink out of a Medium, Fine, and Extra Fine nib.
The ink line out of the EF nibs (I tried several) looked lighter than the ink line out of the F and M nibs.
Under magnification, I could see and compared that the ink line was the same color.
My conclusion is that it is an optical illusion.  With the EF nibs, my eye is seeing much more white paper than ink, so the ink "looks" lighter than it really is.
So try to look at the hairlines with a magnifier to see if the line looks black.

The other thought I have is that the ink line on the hairline is thinner (thinner layer of ink), so the thin ink is somewhat translucent rather than opaque (when you are putting down more ink).
Gary

Offline renaissancewoman

• Freshman Member
  • Ana
    • View Profile
    • ETSY
Re: Higgins Calligraphy Waterproof Black Ink
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:49 PM »
I have not used that particular type of Higgins ink, but I have found that Higgins ink in general tends to have a more diluted look. I'm not a fan.
Of course if you're going for a watercolor-type look then maybe it's fine.
Best, Ana
Instagram | Etsy