Author Topic: Review  (Read 5377 times)

Offline parvathypraveen20

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Review
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »
Hi all.. Can someone give me a review for the following holder.. also other suggestions are welcome..http://www.paperinkarts.com/piaobl---ros.html

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Review
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »
And I just found the one in the link below.. would like to know the reviews for this one too
https://www.etsy.com/listing/261455043/universal-oblique-pen-holder-oblique?ref=shop_home_feat_1

Offline AussieCalligrapherAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 01:41:29 AM »
don't get the etsy one. I have that and it crushes the nibs when you put them in it and they move a little bit.
http://www.paperinkarts.com/hourgl.html
This is what I would recommend, it's worth the wait.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
@AussieCalligrapherAlex  Thanks but hourglass is way over my budget..have you tried the other universal holder from PIA??

Offline AussieCalligrapherAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:33:47 AM »
No sorry I haven't. From the looks if you don't mind a skinny pen it should be fine. Another option is olive pens on etsy. I'm pretty sure they do a bullock flange and have reasonable prices. Other than that I can't really help

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
Hi Parvathy,
This is my personal opinion about bullock flanges.
They are great for different nib sizes, but I personally find them a little cumbersome as you always need to have a screwdriver around to fit in nibs.

Most brass flange holders can be adjusted to fit a majority of nibs. Chris Yoke has great videos for this on you tube. If you use crow quill nibs then the bullock will come handy.

If you don't mind starting with a plastic holder and brass flange, the ziller is a good option too.

These also could be considered
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/oblique-holders

The turned wood at $14

But if you feel that you don't want to mess with the flange then go ahead with the bullock.

Happy writing
Prasad
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:47:27 PM by prasad »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
I'd 2nd Prasad's comments, I also find the weight of the bullock flange pulls the penholder down to the side - especially on a thin pen.  Others love the bullock flange, so it is a personal thing.

A cheap pair of bail making pliers (find them in jewellery making suppliers) is all you need to adjust a normal flange to just about any nib (except crow quill) and will probably work out cheaper.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
@prasad @melanie jane Hi..I already have the turned wood holder and i have already ruined one holder..so i thought i should get one with universal holder..

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 01:23:15 AM »
Funny how people eschew the Bullock because of the need for a screwdriver and yet advocate a standard flange that requires a pair of pliers for adjustment.  ::)

The Hourglass is really nice, though it is a thin holder.  I like the convenience of the screw flange. Then again, I've always got a watchmaker's screwdriver in my bag anyway.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »
I have the hourglass holder and its very well built and great.  NO taking that away from it.

It's just that I make my own holders too, and I have 1 for each type of regular nib that I use. So that's why I said the screwdriver thing is cumbersome for me :)

i have already ruined one holder..so i thought i should get one with universal holder..

There are a million things you need to focus on when learning calligraphy and the tools need to be comfortable so you can focus on the writing

Worst case scenario,  if you find the grip section too skinny,  wrap it up with some string to get the thickness you want.  Go for what makes you feel comfortable. :)

Even the Great Madarasz did that   ;D

Happy writing
-Prasad
My Instagram

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 02:51:48 AM »
Funny how people eschew the Bullock because of the need for a screwdriver and yet advocate a standard flange that requires a pair of pliers for adjustment.  ::)

The Hourglass is really nice, though it is a thin holder.  I like the convenience of the screw flange. Then again, I've always got a watchmaker's screwdriver in my bag anyway.

I'd heard so many good things about the PIA hourglass pen when I was first starting out that I bought one and expected it to work for me.  It didn't, so I wanted to let prospective buyers know that it doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

My main gripe with the PIA pen is the weight of the flange, combined with a slippery and thin penholder make it awkward for me to hold without it slipping round in my fingers.  I'd take a normal flange, along with the occasional need to use pliers (most of my nibs fit with no adjustment), over it any day. 

You obviously like it, so as I said, it's a personal thing.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:05 AM »
I do like it, though I don't have a specific preference.  My new and impending Chris Yoke holder will be coming with a standard flange. 

I may not have very good skills at writing - well, none really - but for some reason I do have very plastic hands. What I mean is that I haven't really found any writing instrument, pen, pencil, or brush to be uncomfortable to use.  Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I do not know.  Perhaps someone would like to tell me?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 06:11:15 AM »
I'd take a normal flange, along with the occasional need to use pliers (most of my nibs fit with no adjustment), over it any day.

As would I, except that I've never felt the need for fancy pliers either.  The picture of Madarasz's pens is a salutary reminder that good results are not dependent on fancy equipment.

Regarding the Bullock flange, it's always struck me as a solution to a very trivial problem which introduces disadvantages of its own.  The weight for one thing, and the difficulty of adjusting the nib angle for another (as noted by Dr Vitolo here). 

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
I'd take a normal flange, along with the occasional need to use pliers (most of my nibs fit with no adjustment), over it any day. 

And if you don't want to spend so much on pliers, you could do this DIY with a3mm and 5mm drill bit

:)
My Instagram

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D I am totally confused now... so should i go ahead with buying a round pilers and an oblique holder adjusted to fit brausse 66?? because that is the nib i ,ostly use along with the nikkog and hunt.. (i may get other nibs in future)