Author Topic: Calligraphy bar brawls  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Calligraphy bar brawls
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
@bleair I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed it! ;D
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
I'm so thankful I gave up drinking anything stronger than tea.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:26 AM »
I'm so thankful I gave up drinking anything stronger than tea.

So you're the one who gets called at 3AM to bail everyone out after the police show up and haul the whole lot of us to the drunk tank? ;)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 02:17:17 AM »
In my drinking days I would have run around the bar shouting obscenities about Uncial  ;D

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:52 AM »
Art or craft?  ;)

This one is not limited to calligraphy, as I'm sure y'all are aware. Just this morning I received this link promoting an article in an upcoming issue of a bi-annual magazine. https://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/blogs/blog/issue-three-t-o-c-the-best-of-both-worlds-embracing-art-in-craft

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

ash0kgiri

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 06:47:07 AM »
You lend your Nib to a friend and he been lazy to get up and clean, puts it in his mouth for a good 2 minutes relishing it. And you don't like that a bit... :D

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »
Personally, I'd rather he clean it off that way than to not clean it at all. But I may wonder about his grip on hygiene/sanity if he does that to an inky nib.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
You lend your Nib to a friend and he been lazy to get up and clean, puts it in his mouth for a good 2 minutes relishing it. And you don't like that a bit... :D

Ewwww, I hope that's a new nib and not an inky one.  I think there might be some stuff in some inks that are toxic.

Instagram

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »
In my drinking days I would have run around the bar shouting obscenities about Uncial  ;D

Admit it, you didn't come to the bar with us because you were afraid the menu would be in uncial.

Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
Ha Ha!!!! Yes, that sort of thing was popular in country cafes and pubs in the eighties.... almost the comic sans of its day  ;D This is probably why I get twitchy about it.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 09:02:42 AM »
@Scarlet Blue I think I remember you saying once that uncial reminded you of pubs and hobbits.  Neither of which seemed like bad things so I found it a little confusing.  But, now that you've compared it to comic sans, I get what you're saying.  ;D 

In the US, it's pretty specific to bars with names like "O'Malley's" or" O'Shea's" or "Dublin"--bars that want to play up their Irish roots.  Also in heavy use around St. Patrick's Day.  In the Boston area (heavy on the Irish immigrants), there are quite a few bars of that ilk.

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
Ireland is awash with comic uncial too, but if you venture far enough into the Gaelic speaking areas you'll occasionally be confronted with the genuine, baffling article.  Here's the door of O'Flaherty's in Dingle, a fine venue for a convivial discussion, but a lousy one for a brawl since it's right opposite the Garda station.   :)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
😳

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »
Ireland is awash with comic uncial too, but if you venture far enough into the Gaelic speaking areas you'll occasionally be confronted with the genuine, baffling article.  Here's the door of O'Flaherty's in Dingle, a fine venue for a convivial discussion, but a lousy one for a brawl since it's right opposite the Garda station.   :)

It's like in ye olde times, all I've got to do is see the picture of the pint and the banjo and I know what it is, even if I can't decipher the words. Hey, that wouldn't be bad for the name of a pub, The Pint and Banjo.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
Pint and banjo pretty much sums it up, and Mr O' Flaherty is a fine exponent when it comes to pulling the former and thrashing the bejaysus out of the latter.  It's one of my personal Moon Under Water pubs, and the only thing to be said against it is that it's a bit out of the way.  Apparently the next place of any significance due West is Boston.