Author Topic: Hi everyone, from Mary in California  (Read 145 times)

Offline Mary PW

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, from Mary in California
« on: January 31, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
Good morning Flourishers! 

People tell me I was born in the wrong century. I grow my own veggies, bake my own bread, and love to send notes and cards by (gasp) regular mail.   After I retired, I took up quilting and quickly found out my favorite part was not making the quilt, but actually quilting it on my machine.  My favorite quilt motifs always include swirls, curlicues and cursive writing.  I love to hide secret written messages in my quilts.  Do you see a theme developing here?  I got hooked on calligraphy after seeing  videos of beautiful writing pop up on social media (the Internet was around in the 1800s, wasnít it?).  After collecting a few tools and ink via Pony Express, oops, I mean Amazon, I was off and running.  I started this new hobby last October, and look forward to many years of learning, practicing, and honing my skills.  Iím a pointed pen gal, and love a big squishy nib.  Itís nice to meet you all and I look forward to networking and inspiration from this forum

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Hi everyone, from Mary in California
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Hi @Mary PW ! I am convinced I was reincarnated from the Victorian era.  ;D We have so much in common. Too bad we didn't live near each other - I love the piecing part but not so much the quilting part - we could partner up!

Secret messages sound right up my alley as well! Welcome to Flourish!  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mary!  I think nostalgia and antiquated ways are quite common in this forum, so you're in good company.

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:29:31 AM »
Hi Mary!  Welcome.  I used to quilt - have stacks and stacks of fabric in the "quilting room" and they are lonely now because I can't tear myself away from calligraphy.   Did you see the movie Phantom Thread?  It sounds like you may have!  Where are you in CA?  I need a quilt that I pieced a few years ago to be quilted.  I'm in San Diego.  If you're here, we have a wonderful calligraphy guild.

Hope to hear more of your calligraphy and quilting adventures!

Liz