Author Topic: Color blindness  (Read 70 times)

Offline jrvalverde

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Color blindness
« on: February 18, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
Only curious.

About 2% of the population is colour blind for some colour or another. I was wondering how often do you find them and how do you deal with them (if you do)?

I tend to be cautious when I am doing something addressed to many people, trying to find colour combinations that will be seen by everyone. There are a number of websites with information on colour management for colour-blindness but I always lose the links among so many and have to look'em up again every time.

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
Re: Color blindness
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »
Great question!  That number actually seems rather low to me, but then again most of the numbers I've seen seem to relate especially to European-ancestral populations.

To preface, I don't have color blindness myself.  I've had the opportunity to discuss this topic at some length with several friends that have one type or another of color blindness.  This is still a very limited knowledge base though, so please don't think I'm speaking for everyone or with any degree of real-life or professional qualifications. 

I think it's really important to be aware of how people with color blindness might perceive your work, but in calligraphy it's probably not as significant a consideration as it would be for, say, painting or color-coded instruction manuals and such.  From what I understand after speaking to several friends with at least one type of color blindness, I think as long as you have a good degree of contrast between your ink, or inks, and the paper, there won't be any loss of understanding.  If you were to use a gold or reddish color, or a green on an ivory envelope, that might look a bit "mucky" to folks with (at least) red-green color blindness for example. 

Do you use a complicated palette in your calligraphy?

Offline zonderling

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
I am colorblind, and have always enjoyed calligraphy.  While I have had to learn to see things differently (red is always on the top of a traffic light, green is always on the bottom) calligraphy has never been an issue, even when reading watercolor.  The contrast of light to dark (or vice-versa) has always been significant enough to allow me to see what has been written.

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »
@zonderling That's great to know!  Thank you so much for sharing.  It's infinitely valuable to hear from someone with actual experience of the subject at hand.